Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stamp Suitability for Automotive Applications?? — Parallax Forums

Stamp Suitability for Automotive Applications??

NodakGuyNodakGuy Posts: 1
edited 2005-08-26 11:20 in BASIC Stamp
I'm thinking about using a STAMP processor for an automotive application, but I'm concerned about proper operation at temperature extremes.· The processor would physically located in the interior of the vehicle, but I live in Texas, so interior temps can exceed 115 degrees in the summer.· Additionally, I want to be able to travel into colder climates (say down to -10 degrees F).· Does this rule out the STAMP as an option?· Are certain models of the STAMP more tolerant of temperature variations than others?·

Thanks!
Mark

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-08-26 03:23
    Mark -

There is an industrial version of the BS-2 Stamp platform. The industrial version has a temperature range of 40-80 C (-40-185 F) which ought to work fine in the environment you have. Here is a link to the unit itself:
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=BS2I-IC

Remember to filter your incoming power well, as voltage on an automobile is notable noisy. Additionally remember there will be a large amperage draw-down on the battery causing a lowered available voltage when starting in cold weather, so brown-outs may occur too.

Regards,

Bruce bates
  • KenMKenM Posts: 657
    edited 2005-08-26 05:00
    I think if the battery voltage were to drop low enough for a BS2 brownout, the brownout would be the least of his problems....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ken
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-08-26 11:20
    Also note, that if you do travel from one extreme temp to the other, you might find that the expansion/contraction of things will cause your stamp to ride out of its socket carrier.
    As convenient as it is to be able to swap out stamps, if you have to, you may want to check it from time to time (push it back in) or directly solder/wire wrap to it! (of course, be careful you don't leave heat on a stamp pin for too

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."