Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Controlling a peltier cooler with basic stamp 2 — Parallax Forums

Controlling a peltier cooler with basic stamp 2

edited 2005-08-24 13:58 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to know if there is anyone who is familliar with a thermoelectric peltier cooler, and how it can be interfaced with the basic stamp 2.· I have a seperate control module with the peltier, that cycles it on & off )I believe), and would like to use the BS2 to control it, plus a fan.· The module and peltier operate properly on +12V, and I currently run them from a computer power supply.· In the next week or so, I may post a couple of pictures of the control module that I purchased with my peltier, as it is easier to explain it, and it has no spec sheet/tech notes with it.

Post Edited (peltier_cooler32°) : 9/7/2005 4:29:11 AM GMT

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-08-24 12:44
    Well, connecting the peltier to a relay and the stamp controlling that relay is the obvious one....

Just wondering if you could control "HOW COLD" a pelletier gets with, say a PWM signal. Like in motors, the higher the PWM the faster the motor goes, slower when the PWM is lower.

I don't think you could wreck teh peltier as it's normally run on 12Vdc and you'd just be switching that 12Vdc on/off very fast (pulse width modulated -- PWM).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-08-24 13:58
    Yes using PWM works with peltier junctions, Thermaltake use to have a CPU cooler based on a peltier which incorporated a temperature and humidity sensor. It used the information to calculate the dew point and adjusted the PWM so that the cold side was 5 degrees above dew point, this alieviated the problem of having to insulate the junction to prevent condensation, since it intelligently made sure condensation never occured.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10