Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Radio Frequency Communication — Parallax Forums

Radio Frequency Communication

Roger RayRoger Ray Posts: 22
edited 2005-08-24 21:30 in Robotics
I would like to construct a semi-autonomous basic stamp robot (similar to the Mars Explorer robots with a shorter communication range...smile.gif·).· This robot will need to be able to receive commands and transmit data.· Ideally, I would like to be able to send and receive commands from a PC but I could get by with a second basic stamp unit connected to the computer that relays commands to the robot and recieves data from the robot.· Commands would be simple transmissions but data could be as complicated as photographic data (no video).

Does anyone have suggestions for hardware to accomplish the communications?· What are the benefits and limitations of that hardware?

Roger Ray

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-08-23 17:57
    Roger,

·· Most people defer the two signals to different devices.· IOW, the commands are sent to the robot (And in some cases received back) through a wireless serial link, of which we have several options, including BlueTooth.· As for the Photo/Video data, the more common method is to use a camera with it's own 2.4Ghz transmitter, and a 2.4Ghz received at the base station.· X-10 is a good source of such cameras.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-08-24 03:54
    Roger,

While the Bluetooth hardware is full of features, you could do this with the following parts:

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/resources/catapps/cat_radiobot.asp

This would provide a Hyperterminal or Stamp DEBUG interface to control the robot.

The wireless video would be on a separate frequency, probably 2.4 Ghz as Chris suggested.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Tricky NekroTricky Nekro Posts: 218
    edited 2005-08-24 08:25
    But what about making something costume... The Parallax products are always promoted, which may not be bad but don't leave·our imagination work... Not everyone is able to buy things from Parallax...cry.gif

Regards, Provas, GREECE

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rule your Destiny-
    --Be Good. Be Bad. Be Provas--
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-08-24 13:18
    Certainly there are uncountable number of wireless modules out there (my favorite outside of Parallax is www.sparkfun.com). But the reason we always refer to Parallax products is that they have been tested and verified to work with a stamp, plus PBASIC code is usually provided to make interfacing with the product a snap, finally there is at least one Parallax employee or forum member with hands on experience with the module capable of assisting someone having difficulties with the module. To many the slightly higher cost of purchasing one from Parallax is well worth the investment for the reasons cited above. Of course if you are living abroad, this may not be an option (or an expensive proposition when dealing with international shipping rates).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • Roger RayRoger Ray Posts: 22
    edited 2005-08-24 20:20
    Thanks for the info!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-08-24 21:30
    Hey guys,

Very soon we will solve the "cost issue" of our RF modules in a BIG way. I assure you that you won't complain about the cost of our RF devices in 30 days from now.

But for now, you're exactly right. They're way too expensive.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.