Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp structure like a Javelin — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp structure like a Javelin

Brian RileyBrian Riley Posts: 626
edited 2005-08-22 21:22 in BASIC Stamp
I was reading over how the Javelin was structured. 32K EEPROM with 32K SRAM. The byte codes copied to SRAM from EEPROM at bootup.

Has any thought been given to coding a BASIC stamp for the Javelin chip hardware? What a great expansion that would be. It should allow more RAM variables, Lots more program and data storage and a major speed increase (not having the serial EEPROM bottleneck

Now I know there is an address size limit but it seems to have been ovecome to do Java so couldn't it be overcome for BASIC?

just curious ...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
cheers ... brian riley, n1bq, underhiull center, vermont

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-08-22 16:55
    The Basic Stamp BS2 design was created in 1991. Since then thousands have been sold. It's small, it doesn't take a lot of battery power, it's reliable. It's been ported to the SX chip (BS2sx, and I believe BS2p).

Since it's popular, and since it's still being sold, and since there IS a Javelin (which doesn't sell as well, by the way), Parallax may take the view of why spend more money to develop something which has little added benefit (sales)?

And I believe their current efforts in the SX/B arena, to give people native access to the SX chip using a Basic compiler, may do what you want. I think if they made a Java-like module, to run a PBasic-like code, it would take a dramatic re-engineering of the PBasic run-time. The result might not be something you'd like.

Oh, and they purchased the Java run-time engine they're using now inside the Javelin, which made the large address space available. I'm sure no such off-the-shelf expanded run-time engine exists for PBasic.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-08-22 17:30
    Allan,

The BASIC Stamp Revision D was our first BASIC Stamp, and it was released in 1993. The BASIC Stamp 2 was released in 1995. We didn't purchase the Javelin's run-time interpreter engine - it was designed and qualified like all other Parallax products. Just wanted to clarify a couple of points. Let the discussion proceed. . .

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-08-22 17:55
    Oops, my bad, I've done it again. Thanks for the correction, Ken, I want the real data to get out there, not my mis-understandings. So, why don't you make a PBasic platform out of the Javelin hardware configuration?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-08-22 21:22
    Allan,

Come on over for a visit to Parallax and I'll show you why.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.