Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LCD mounting for use with the Profesional Development Board — Parallax Forums

LCD mounting for use with the Profesional Development Board

Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
edited 2006-05-22 05:41 in Robotics
I have been using an LCD display with the PDB and found that having the LCD setting off to the side was a pain in the neck.

My solution was to use a Plexiglas picture frame·that would normally hold 2 3x5 pictures on a desk. The LCD is mounted on one side and the other side has Velcro strips to hold it to the bottom of the PDB.

The bumpers are also replaced with bumpers to hold the board up higher off the desk.

By the way, the LCD·pictured·has the serial backpack from NEWZED (Sid Weaver) and uses simple serial commands to display bare bones ascii text. http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/page2.html

Hopefully the pictures say it all.
847 x 679 - 81K
585 x 551 - 31K
532 x 580 - 42K
1037 x 906 - 119K
765 x 496 - 51K

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-08-22 03:42
    Russ,

·· Interesting design.· When I first saw the post, I must admit that I thought this was a mod for the Parallel LCD connector.· But it's still cool.· Would be a little cooler if you had a Parallax Serial LCD in there!· tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • ManuelManuel Posts: 105
    edited 2005-08-22 03:49
    Yes, the parallax serial to parallel converters look better, but sometimes a student does not have enough money.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Best Regards

Manuel C. Reinhard
  • KoyJaKoyJa Posts: 17
    edited 2005-08-22 05:19
    LCD LK204-25-WB-C74

Nice Pics russ. Im about at that stage with my project now. Tomorrow I will get pricing on
    my enclosure and the most critical part is the LCD cutout. Im wonderind should I protect
    the glass? I have heard o few ideas on the site about putting a plexi cover it. But Im still
    in decesion mode.

mikey

Koy Ja !
    2560 x 1920 - 378K
  • Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2005-08-22 12:56
    Chris:

I have about $10 in the surplus 4x20 display and about $25 in Sid's backpack.

$30 for the Parallax version would have been a good value (for the 2x16). The 'Command Set' that the Parallax serial LCD has would be very useful.

Is the serial converter available separately? What is the chance that it would work with a 4x20 display?
    edited 2005-08-22 13:05
    mikey:

You can probably see in the pictures that I am not protecting the LCD glass. I dn not recall reading any recommendations about covering it. My stuff will not be used by the general public so I have not given it much thought.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-08-22 15:05
    Russ,

·· Sorry, the Serial Backpack is not available separately.· As for covering the glass, I have only done so twice in the pst.· Most of the time I simply cut out a hole in the cabinet exactly the size of the glass and flush mount the LCD to the panel from behind.· In a weatherized system you would need something else (Which is when I have done that).· Anyway, my point was, other than it being a pain to keep the glass clean, I never really had any problems with doing this.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Brian RileyBrian Riley Posts: 626
    edited 2005-08-22 16:18
    Russ said...
    I have been using an LCD display with the PDB and found that having the LCD setting off to the side was a pain in the neck.

My solution was to use a that would normally hold 2 3x5 pictures on a desk. The LCD is mounted on one side and the other side has Velcro strips to hold it to the bottom of the PDB.</FONT>

What a great idea! Amen, this has been a bugaboo for me for quite awhile. I am gonna head ovee to K-Mart this afternoon where I know I can find a couple of these things real cheap.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    cheers ... brian riley, n1bq, underhiull center, vermont
    edited 2005-08-22 17:22
    The picture holders are also available from "Hobby Lobby" for about $2.50.
    edited 2005-08-22 17:54
    P.S. I prefer to use a connector on the LCD so that I can also use a parallel connection directly to the PCB when that is a part of the project/experiment.
  • FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
    edited 2005-09-04 21:53
    Russ:
    I have had a great success with the LCD Kit #107 from Peter Anderson (http://www.phanderson.com/lcd106/lcd107.html). It converts the parallel LCD's to serial (via serout from Stamp). This particular kit also supports variable backlight. All his kits support various LCD geometries from 1*16 to 4*20. Very cheap, $5
    Rafael
    edited 2005-09-05 12:38
    Rafael:

Thanks for the note about Peter Anderson's LCD Kit.

Brian Riley also recommended it to me. In fact I ordered and received one last week. It works very well, and does everything that I wanted it to do.

I was particularly interested in being able to posistion the cursor to refresh a numberic field on the display, without having to refresh the entire display.
  • Brandon WrightBrandon Wright Posts: 5
    edited 2006-05-21 23:53
    flyingfishfinger said...
    Russ:
    I have had a great success with the LCD Kit #107 from Peter Anderson (http://www.phanderson.com/lcd106/lcd107.html). It converts the parallel LCD's to serial (via serout from Stamp). This particular kit also supports variable backlight. All his kits support various LCD geometries from 1*16 to 4*20. Very cheap, $5
    Rafael

I bought one of those LCD Kit #107's as well, I hooked up my 4x20 LCD upto it and it works great! I'm having trouble with the LCD's coding though, which I am going to have to bring up in another topic.

-Brandon
    edited 2006-05-22 05:41
    Brian and I like the chip so much that we·worked up·a circuit board for Prof Anderson's chip, got a bunch of boards made, and have them available from Brian's web page.

Note that the code on the chip has been revised and is now called LCD #117.

·