Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Servo controller hangs up — Parallax Forums

Servo controller hangs up

hank van burenhank van buren Posts: 57
edited 2005-08-26 19:13 in BASIC Stamp
Why would the servo controller hang up this happen mostly on power up I am using a digital servo connected to a gyro and a BS2 stamp @ 2400 baud when I push the reset on the controller it will unlock is there a code to unlock the controller in program?. Hank van Buuren.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-08-21 16:43
    Hank,

·· What is powering the servo controller?· How much voltage?· What is powering the servos?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • hank van burenhank van buren Posts: 57
    edited 2005-08-21 17:46
    Chris, the controller is powered from the vdd of the·BS2, the servo from·seperate power source of·5.0 volts. Hank van Buuren
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-08-21 19:40
    Hank -

Are all the grounds tied back together? Everything (servos, additional DC·power supplies, external boards, etc) all need to meet at a common ground point under most circumstances.

Could you give us a better idea what you mean by servo controller·"hang up"? Does it just not respond, or is there some other symptom?

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-08-21 19:54
    Hank,

·· If you're using a BOE with a jumper between the Servo Headers and it's set to Vdd, then you should be okay on voltage there.· If you don't have the jumper, you could have a problem.· If you're using a servo cable to connect to the PSC, then all 3 lines should be connected.· Likewise, if you separate power supply is connected to both terminal on the PSC, the grounds should be okay.· What makes you think it is locking up?· Do you have a standard servo to verify that it's not something with the digital ones?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-08-21 20:56
    Hi, First of all by locking I mean that I have to make several attempts to get the system to start up the system works but the system is not responding the green LED is lighten up when it gets a input from serial input, it makes sense wat Bruce check for grounds and I will check with a standard·servo Hope this will work·.· Hank van Buuren·
    edited 2005-08-26 19:13
    I found the problem, ·first I omitted the digital servo and replaced it with a standard servo the system was working perfectly· I use a faster processor· a BS2sx to compensate for the much higher speed of the digital servo. After some reprogramming it is working fine. Thanks a lot·for the suggestions Hank van Buuren