Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Analog output from BasicStamp? (Replacing an analog pot with control from BS2) — Parallax Forums

Analog output from BasicStamp? (Replacing an analog pot with control from BS2)

TonyATonyA Posts: 226
edited 2005-08-21 01:08 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I am trying to achieve an analog output from the BS2. I 've read that you can simulate analog output using PWM.

Is there a way you can get a resistance output from the BS2?

What I'd like to do is replace an analog potentiometer on a certain device with control by way of the BS2.

Would a digital pot chip come into this? Or a digital to analog chip?

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

Tony

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2005-08-19 19:19
    There are several application notes on how to do this... My favorite chips for doing this·are the DS1267 (Dual Pot) and the AD8803 (Octal Pot).
    Here is an example that I did a few years ago...

http://webpages.charter.net/schwabelove/BasicStamp/

...See:
    "AD8803 Octal Digital POT interface"
    "DS1267 Dual Digital Resistor Interface"
    "Radio Control Electronic Speed Controller using a Stamp1" for code and schematics.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 8/19/2005 7:22:34 PM GMT
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 226
    edited 2005-08-19 19:25
    Hi Beau,

Thanks for your help. Interesting projects there.

If I wanted just one pot control would the ad5220 work for controlling a simple analog oscillator?

(I noticed something on your site that gave me an idea. How could I go about getting a control voltage (CV out) output from the BS2?)

Thanks again,
    Tony

Post Edited (TonyA) : 8/19/2005 7:30:40 PM GMT
    edited 2005-08-19 19:28
    I think it might help if we knew more of what you were trying to do in order for us to optimize the solution.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2005-08-19 19:30
    Beau,

I want to control a simple oscillator with the BS2. replace the oscillator's analog pot (used to control the oscillator) with control via the BS2.

Thanks,
    Tony
    edited 2005-08-19 19:35
    What does the schematic of your oscillator look like? If the pot has a common node to power or gnd, then you may not need a digital pot at all.
    You might be able to get away with using the PWM command with an OpAmp set as a voltage follower.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2005-08-19 19:56
    Hi,

I am looking into the possibilities of using the BS2 to control very simple oscillators (sound effects). The types of oscillators
    you could make from a 555 timer chip and the chip in the attached schematic.

Also, how I might make a simple control voltage output. The type of CV used for analog musical synthesizers/oscillators. (I don't know too much about this stuff, so sorry if I am using the wrong terminology). The CV output would be used so that you could plug into an analog synth and control it.

These are my 2 objectives. I am interested in applications that involve sound manipulation and control. I have already worked somewhat with midi.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate anything you can impart to me.

Tony

The attached schem is from a kit available from electronicgoldmine.com *I want to be able to replace the cds cell with controll fron the BS2.

Post Edited (TonyA) : 8/19/2005 7:58:23 PM GMT
    1275 x 1755 - 262K
    edited 2005-08-20 03:40
    Tony said...
    how I might make a simple control voltage output

There are a couple of ways... One is to use a DAC (digital to analog converter) IC.
    Another is to use the PWM command in combination with an OpAmp configured as
    a voltage follower. (See attached schematic)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    885 x 583 - 11K
    edited 2005-08-21 01:08
    Thank you for your help. I will give this a try.

Tony