Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Document "Building CAN circuits" talks nothing about CAN bus or circuits for it — Parallax Forums

Document "Building CAN circuits" talks nothing about CAN bus or circuits for it

OakGraphicsOakGraphics Posts: 202
edited 2005-08-19 22:39 in BASIC Stamp
Howdy - I am not sure this is in the right spot, but I figure since this is a 'device' for a basic stamp that parallax sells, I thought I would give it a stab.

I am interested in CAN bus for a basic stamp and noted parallax has a mBus Controller Area Network (CAN) device at:
http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30011

under the documentation area - it has an article/pdf you can read called "Building CAN circuits" - I thought that would be exciting (my kind-of excitement) so I clicked on it.
It is here at: http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/comm/CANcircuits.pdf

Inside the document was no references to CAN whatsoever.· (even a search for the word "CAN" comes up with nothing.
Inside this document was the basic symbols, and how to assemble parts on a breadboard. (the 'big circuit' being demonstrated being a battery powered led that turned on when you pressed a button - if you can imagine that.)

So - was this really the "Building CAN Circuits" document?· Or is that hiding away somehwhere in some beginners corner daunting the newbie to figure out CAN circuits when they don't know the difference between a wire and a resistor? (which would be a bummer by the way) (yes I know wires are by definition are·resistors - but so are most things in life actually.)

Just wondering,
Daniel
·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-08-19 16:18
    Daniel,

·· That document was provided by the manufacturer of the device.· I did check the document and will be following up on this.· I will post here when I have some more information for you on this.· Thank you for pointing it out to us.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • edited 2005-08-19 22:39
    Daniel:

You are correct. The link's description does not fit the subject of the paper. I am sorry for the mistake and the confusion. I asked that the product page be updated to fix this. If you do have questions on how to wire a CAN bus please let the good people at Parallax know and I will help if necessary.

Best Regards,

Dan Mannisto
    Machine Bus Corp.