Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
"Atomic Clock" — Parallax Forums

"Atomic Clock"

John CoutureJohn Couture Posts: 370
edited 2005-08-19 19:06 in BASIC Stamp
Three ways to get a super accurate clock for your project are listed below.·
Has anyone been successful in getting a module for option #1?· Source? Pricing?

1) "Atomic" Clock Reciever Module by Galleon (http://www.ntp-time-server.com/wwvb-receiver/wwvb-receiver.htm)

2) GPS Module (time is part of position data) (http://www.sparkfun.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cat=63) (updated link)

3) NIST Internet Time Service (getting the time from the Internet) (http://tf.nist.gov/service/its.htm)

John J. Couture
San Diego Miramar College

Comments

• JLBSheckyJLBShecky Posts: 6
    edited 2005-08-18 04:42
    Radio controlled time pieces (atomic clocks and watches) are something that I have been interested in for a while. The past few days I have been attempting to find ways to allow a basic stamp to acquire an atomic clock signal. I my search I came across the link that you listed for #1. Although I have as yet to actually test any hardware, I have found that digikey does carry a part that from what I have read so far, can be used to translate the radio signals into data that a microprocessor can understand. I am not sure if this device truly does what I think that it does, and was thinking of asking here about whether it could be used for such, but have as of yet not gotten around to it.

The product that I found is not the one that is listed on the webpage that you found, but it should be able to do the same thing. The product can be found at www.digikey.com, by searching for CME8000. If you want a direct link to the manufactures description it is available at www.c-maxgroup.com/products/showProduct.php?id=1.

-JLBShecky
  • John CoutureJohn Couture Posts: 370
    edited 2005-08-18 18:46
    Wow! Interesting! The chip is tiny (SSO28) along with the mcu (QFP15-100). However one of the PCB modules looks interesting (CME8000-BUS-GS-02, PDF Download http://www.c-maxgroup.com/downloads/getFile.php?id=200 ) with its serial output.

Digikey does indeed sell them but they want a minimum order of 100. Is there any interest from anyone else in this? ... maybe we can see if Digikey or whoever will sell them in lower quantities if enough people ask. These sure would make nifty additions to a Basic Stamp project. Go ahead, let someone argue that the time is off on your project! (grin)

Funny, I have a radio controlled digital clock that I got from Frys a couple of months ago for about $7. It's tempting to take it apart .... however my debugging skills are not that good.

John J. Couture
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-08-18 20:29
    John, I did a findchips search on the part, digikey was the only distributor. But you were looking at the wrong part number, digikey part # 561-1008-1-ND is the part you are looking for, $3.75 in individual quantities.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
    edited 2005-08-19 02:25
    Paul,

Thank you but my post must not have been clear. The 561-1008-1-ND is just the SSO28 chip. Very hard to solder and it requires an MCU to work its magic into standard serial data. The CME8000-BUS-GS-02 is actually a little PCB module with the reciever chip, the mcu and an antenna which outputs nice clean serial data. They run about $22 but again in qty 100.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John J. Couture

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2005-08-19 15:49
    John,

Very neat looking little board. I'd be interested in a couple, but that puts us nowhere near an order [noparse]:([/noparse] . My sisters have been bugging me to make them an Atomic Nixie clock like the one I have, but I need to find a reasnoably priced WWVB module as the one I have is no longer in production.

Please let me know, here or off list, if you find a source for these.

Jonathan

BTW, are you the same John Couture of Tesla coiling fame?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-08-19 16:03
    I really liked the idea of having a clock that would maintain itself, but in Asia the 'Atomic Clock' is not supported by radio transmitters.
    Support via GPS is possible, but likely to be expensive.

Luckily, the Internet is easily available and you can download a simple program that will keep your computer on target.

Also, it seems my cellular phone offers a similar feature at no charge.

The more I thought about this, the more it seemed to me that the BasicStamp with a clock could be updated every time you interfaced with your computer. In many if not most cases that would be enough.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    G. Herzog in Taiwan
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-08-19 16:47
    Hi John,

Ari forwarded your message to me. Parallax used to have our own Atomic Time Clock.

See the article in Nuts and Volts Magazine written by Lon Glazner.

This was a neat device (I always like the obscure types of sensors and interfaces) and it worked really well. In fact, the same clock was used to keep track of time for the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics at several stations. The product was subsequently discontinued due to high cost and general lack of interest from our customers. Consumer atomic time clocks were introduced at $40, which made the "hobby accessible" version look quite expensive, too.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2005-08-19 17:40
    Jonathan said...

BTW, are you the same John Couture of Tesla coiling fame?
    · Jonathan,

·· Funny.· The Tesla Coil Couture is my Dad who is out visiting us in San Diego area this month!· He's 84 and still does Calculus in his head (I on the other hand, flunked the course many times)!··I wrote the code for the Tesla coil design program and he supplied the formulas·(http://www.sdmiramar.edu/faculty/jcouture/tesla).·

An interesting side note on that.· His first book (I guess about 100 pages), was written in BASIC using DATA statements!· At the time, he just refused to learn how to use a word processor but knew how to use QBasic (grin).

Thanks for asking, he'll get a kick out of someone on this list asking about him!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John J. Couture

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2005-08-19 19:06
    John,

Send my regards to your father. In the pre-internet mailing list days, your one of your Dad's books enabled me to build a Tesla coil that actually worked (as opposed to my earlier attempts which didn't). Once the internet lists happened, I have gotten much advice and learned a lot from his posts. He obvioulsy got over his dislike of word processors :-0. I have also used the Tesla calc. program, so I thank you too!

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot