Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Generate Object code loader can't find Stamp — Parallax Forums

Generate Object code loader can't find Stamp

StampUSRStampUSR Posts: 48
edited 2005-08-17 01:17 in BASIC Stamp
When I use the 'Generate Object Code' option in the BS2 editor and either create a stand alone executable or Object Code and the StampLoader when I try to use either to load the firmware into the BS2 it says it can't find the BS.

Loading the Firmware from within the editor itself works fine. I closed the Editor to make sure it wasn't hogging the com port (com6) but that didn't help.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-08-16 04:03
    Hello,

·· What version of the editor are you using?· Older versions of the editor did not support COM Ports above a certain point.· I just tried it on my system with V2.2 of the BASIC Stamp Editor and it works fine.· Please check your version.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • StampUSRStampUSR Posts: 48
    edited 2005-08-16 04:11
    Hi Chris,

I am using v2.2 of the Stamp Editor.

Thanks,

Shawn
    edited 2005-08-16 04:15
    BTW, this is trying to load into a PX if that makes a difference...
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-08-16 12:44
    What's a "PX"?
    edited 2005-08-16 13:27
    Bs2px.
    edited 2005-08-16 14:15
    Hello,

·· I will test this right now and let you know my findings.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-08-16 14:19
    Okay,

·· Just verified that it works with the BS2px24.· Can you send me the file you are having trouble with?· Do any other programs for different BASIC Stamps work or not work for you?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-08-16 14:24
    Hmm. Does it make a difference that he's trying to use the loader on COM6? COM6 is not usually a standard port number. Some applications only support COM1 through 4.
    edited 2005-08-16 14:32
    Allan/All,

·· COM 6 (And higher)·is supported by the Stamp Editor V2.2, but I will check to see if there are any issues with the Loader program on higher COM Port numbers and get back to you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-08-16 17:05
    Chris,

I have only tried this with the PX with this one file. I can forward the file to you tonight as it is on my machine at home.

When I run it it doesn't seem like the loader even opens the serial ports, it just comes back instantly saying that a BS2 wasn't found. So you know on the machine I was running this on has 4 com ports from a Keyspan four port USB to Serial adapter. They start at Com6 and go up to Com9. The editor has had no problems at all with this adapter on any of those ports. On the Keyspan it has a LED that lights up for each port when they are being accessed/opened and I don't think any did then when trying the stand alone executable or the stamploader program.

Thanks!
    edited 2005-08-16 17:34
    Shawn,

·· Are you sure the error said, "No BASIC Stamp 2 Found?"· If you created code for a BS2px, then that is what it should've reported that it couldn't find.· Are you sure that when you create the EXE file that the Stamp Directive says BASIC Stamp 2px?·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-08-16 17:45
    Chris,

Actually it didn't say either since I had done a custom version of the message. Pretty sure I tried it with the default though and it said it couldn't find the BS2PX.

The code is for the BS2PX, I've loaded it dozens of times from the editor into the BS2PX just fine. The code is using all 8 banks of slots in the BS2PX.

Thanks.
    edited 2005-08-16 18:26
    Shawn,

·· Almost forgot...When you run the EXE, does it say version 2.5 in the title bar on the loader?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-08-16 21:11
    Yes, v2.5. The pop up error window is #023 No Basic Stamp 2px found.
    edited 2005-08-16 21:40
    Looks like it might be some type of Windows compatibility problem. I'm running XP Professional 2002. If I set either the stand alone application or the stamploader to run in Win95 compatibility mode they work fine.
    edited 2005-08-16 22:56
    Hello,

·· Thanks for the information.· I will see what we can find out.· As a note, XP Pro is what we are running as well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-08-16 23:54
    Shawn,

·· Okay, here is a note from one of our engineers that we would like to know if you can do.· This will help us to possibly identify why the loader·isn't working on your system.

Thank you for the latest information regarding your experiment with Windows Compatibility mode.· Please try the following:
    · 1) Download, extract·and run the attached program
    · 2) Click the "Get COM Ports" button
    · 3) Tell us if your port COM6 through COM9 appears in the list.
    then,
    · 4) Close that program, and set it to run in Windows Compatibility Mode (either Win95 or Win98)
    · 5) Run the program and perform steps 1 through 3, above, again and tell us if there is any difference in what is reported.

That program contains the same code that the Stamp Editor and Stamp Loader software uses to determine which COM ports are available on the computer.· The difference with the Stamp Editor, which may be why it is working on your system, is that it also lets you manually enter COM port names to try.· You may have done that recently or a long time ago with an older version of the Stamp Editor.· To determine if that is why it is working, please try the following (BUT ONLY IF YOU'RE EXPERIENCED AND COMFORTABLE WITH MODIFYING THE WINDOWS REGISTRY):
    · 1) Make sure to close the Stamp Editor
    · 2) Run the Regedit program
    · 3) Go to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ParallaxInc\Stamp\2.2 key
    · 4) Find the "CustomPorts" value
    · 5) If there is anything other than a blank in it's Data field, double click the CustomPorts value to edit it and delete the Value Data: field's contents, then click OK.
    · 6) Close Regedit
    · 7) Run the Stamp Editor again and try downloading the BS2px program again.
    · 8) If it fails to find it, then the only reason it was finding it was because of the manually set COM port entries in it's registry setting.
    · 9) To restore those settings, you can simpy open the BASIC Stamp Editor's Preferences window, go to the Editor Operation tab and click on the "..." button next to the Default COM Port: field and use the add com ports windows to add/delete COM port names from the list that the Stamp Editor will look at.

Also, if you could take a screenshot of the display when you run the program in both compatibility mode, and normal mode (2 screenshots) that would help to see what information the system returns based on your configuration.· To take a screenshot, press the PrntScrn key (Usually located near Scrool Lock).· Paste the image into the Windows Paint Program, and save it as a JPG.· After you take the second screenshot, do the same thing.· Please send both screenshots to my e-mail address at the left side of this screen.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-08-17 01:17
    Chris,

Just downloaded the program. When I run it normal and hit 'Get COM Ports' nothing populates in the list field.

When I run it in Win95 compatibility mode I get:

COM3

COM4
    COM5
    COM6
    COM7
    COM8
    COM9

In the list field.

"The difference with the Stamp Editor, which may be why it is working on your system, is that it also lets you manually enter COM port names to try."

I believe I did add the extra com port names to the Stamp Editor after I loaded it. (Time passes) I checked the Registry entry and under CustomPort it does has +COM1+COM6+COM7+COM8+COM9+COM3

Thanks!