Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can disabled people use BASIC Stamp Kit? — Parallax Forums

Can disabled people use BASIC Stamp Kit?

jeffrey morrisjeffrey morris Posts: 52
edited 2005-08-16 18:14 in BASIC Stamp
I have some cerebral palsy and arthritis. I have some problems holding small parts. I need easy ways of installing and removing small parts on the white breadboard area. I have the starter kit with Home Work Board.

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-08-12 23:06
    I suggest using different instruments, such as tweezers (jumper wire installation), needle nose·pilers (LED installation), and a small screw driver for extracting chips.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
    edited 2005-08-13 01:21
    Thats what kids are for, so find yourself a relative who is old enough to grasp the concept of electronics, you do the reading / thinking, they can take care of the small parts, You can also get a nice magnafying glass to double check their work if you need [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    ~Jeremy
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-08-13 02:54
    Jeffrey,

Anybody on this list have an old BASIC Stamp Activity Board they are not using? All components are built in on that board. I don't think we have any laying around at Parallax anymore but I can check next week.

That's one solution.

- Ken
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-08-13 02:59
    Mr. Morris,

I have one and I'll be happy to send it.· Please send me your shipping address to this e-mail address dandreae@parallax.com

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • jeffrey morrisjeffrey morris Posts: 52
    edited 2005-08-13 10:15
    I don't want the BASIC Stamp Activity Board. I'll check Radio Shack for tools.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-08-16 18:14
    You should consider purchasing one or two hemostat, they are a locking type of forcep, availible cheap from places like here. (Radio Shck also ususally has them stocked if they carry electronic parts) Using the locking mechanism may be a little difficult with your arthritis, but if you can clench your fist around the eyelets with a moderate amount of force you can activate the locking mechanism. And pushing on one eyelet with one hand while pulling on the other eyelet will unlock the mechanism. By using the locking mechanism, you can keep a firm grip on the part even if your hand cannot maintain a grasping position. Hemostats will only lock around small diameter objects like wire.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10