Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Emulating an IR transmitter — Parallax Forums

Emulating an IR transmitter

HumlanHumlan Posts: 6
edited 2005-12-18 02:54 in BASIC Stamp
I've got an IR remote control for a Canon camera, and I'd like to use its functionality in an intervalometer I'm building using a BS2p.

One way of doing it would of course be to build it into the case trigger its switch from the Stamp, but it would be a lot cleaner if I could figure out what the remote control is sending (it has two modes and just one button, so I'm pretty sure it's only two IR codes) and then send those two codes myself.

How can I figure out what the remote is sending? Any tips or links to similar devices that "learn" codes or somehow display them so they can be emulated?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-08-12 23:02
    I went to www.google.com and type in "intervalometer and the BASIC Stamp" and it brought up a project very similar to yours.· We also have a book that may get you started in the right direction and it is called "IR Remote for the Boe-Bot".· Here is a link for the download of the book:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28139

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • HumlanHumlan Posts: 6
    edited 2005-08-15 10:07
    Dave Andreae said...
    I went to www.google.com and type in "intervalometer and the BASIC Stamp" and it brought up a project very similar to yours.

My question was concerning how to figure out what this third-party IR transmitter is sending. Does the Boe-bot book have a project that helps me figure this out?

I've seen that simpler intervalometer, but I'm building a more advanced version with multiple options and a LCD display for setup and menus. I'm using as DS1302 for time-keeping, and would like to use both a wired release (like the simpler intervalometer) and Canon's IR codes for wireless release.
  • NateNate Posts: 154
    edited 2005-08-15 11:22
    I have had good luck simply using a IR photodetector and oscilloscope.· To make it easier, after capturing the first signal, you can see what frequency the controller is modulating the signal.· Then use a demodulating IR photodetector (of the proper frequency) hooked up to the oscilloscope, and you·will be able to capture·the signal all cleaned up.

-N
    edited 2005-08-15 12:35
    Whoah, sounds like a bit too much work for me!

If there's anyone that would like to help out by figuring out the codes that the "Canon RC-5" remote can send, I'd be happy to send you the brand new remote and you'll get to keep it! I'll pay for postage and handling!

Any takers?
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-08-15 13:30
    Humlan -

This should give you what you're looking for, plus one heck of a lot more regarding various I/R remotes, I/R coding schemes, I/R circuitry, etc:
    http://www.epanorama.net/links/irremote.html

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    bvbates @ usamailbox.com
    edited 2005-08-15 22:47
    This is my first microprocessor project ever, and I'm pretty proud of the fact that I've managed to build a working prototype of a wired remote control for my camera, complete with external clock source and an LCD display. I just wish I could emulate the Canon IR remote instead of having to build it into my case.

I think it's out of my scope the figure this one out by using another circuit and an oscilloscope...

The offer still stands; I'll ship the brand new remote to anyone who can help me figure out the IR codes that the Canon remote outputs. You can of course keep the remote!

Any takers? rolleyes.gif
  • ADI1ADI1 Posts: 1
    edited 2005-12-18 02:54
    Hi Humlan,

It's been 4 months since you posted this, but I can help if you still need it.
    Let me know.

Cheers ADI1