Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pitch, roll, and yaw. what is the best sensor. — Parallax Forums

Pitch, roll, and yaw. what is the best sensor.

TrepidcatTrepidcat Posts: 6
edited 2005-08-14 09:37 in Robotics
I am thinking of a project for model rocketry and I want to have a sensor or sensors that will give me data on the attitude of the rocket as it flies. Would a set of compas sensors work for this? I was thinking of the dinsmore sensor but if there is another sensor that would give me better results I would like to hear about it. The project will also have an acceleration/velocity collection as well using the Memsic sensor.

Comments

• Tricky NekroTricky Nekro Posts: 218
    edited 2005-08-11 16:05
    The memsic sensor will only give you the pitch and the roll of the rocket and i don't know if it can be used at such high speeds.
    It won't give you if the rocket has capsided.

Regards, Provas

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rule your Destiny-
    --Be Good. Be Bad. Be Provas--
  • TrepidcatTrepidcat Posts: 6
    edited 2005-08-11 16:14
    yeah.gif

I was just looking at that. I have found some triaxial accelerometers but they are pretty expenisive. I'm just looking for something that will allow me to store the data then download and plot it on my computer.
  • Rusty78Rusty78 Posts: 33
    edited 2005-08-11 21:40
    Hey,

···· Incase you havn't seen this yet, you may want to check this Nuts & Voltage column out. I find these documents priceless..absolutely stellar.
    Cheers,

R.K.
    nv12.pdf 459.2K
    edited 2005-08-12 12:22
    I would prefer compresed air for such project and random navigation!!!devil.gif

Regards, Provas, Greece

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rule your Destiny-
    edited 2005-08-12 12:37
    That is an interesting solution but adds drag to the rocket. I was also just thinking about using a barometric pressure sensor or an altitude sensor but they all may be too slow for the initial acceleration of the rocket. That would give me alttitude at given time periods which I could then plot as an up/down trajectory with a calcution for acceleration.

Compressed ait? Well I havn't heard of that either. Navigation isn't the issue and would require more moving parts so just trhust to apagee and fall to eath is fine with me.

Post Edited (Trepidcat) : 8/12/2005 12:37:38 PM GMT
    edited 2005-08-12 13:28
    Used at pilots' ejection seats before the gunpowder took its place.eyes.gif At least only for the start up, for extra speed and power, then eject the (compressed air) bottle and use its fan...scool.gif

Regards

Provas, Greece

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rule your Destiny-
    edited 2005-08-12 13:49
    I found this page of someone who has already made what I want to do and he does it with a basic stamp. The url is http://www.geocities.com/jpadfield13/altimeter.html

jumpin.gif
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-08-14 09:37
    If you go the Memsic, they have your answer - 3 Memsics are required to give you accurate data on all three axis.

While you can get two axis with one Memsic, there is always a major and a minor axis. The major will give you more detail. Thusly, having 3 combined with give you a sphere of data that can uses for a lot of applications. The data likely will have to be filtered or averaged for jitter.

And here is a site that will give you stable Rocket Equations:

http://my.execpc.com/~culp/rockets/rckt_eqn.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    G. Herzog in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 8/14/2005 9:37:14 AM GMT