Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using BASIC Stamp to control a car? — Parallax Forums

Using BASIC Stamp to control a car?

jeffrey morrisjeffrey morris Posts: 52
edited 2005-08-19 19:46 in BASIC Stamp
I have starter kit with BASIC Stamp 2 on Homework Board. Radio Shack didn't have the BOE-BOT robot kit in stock. Is it possible for me to use BASIC Stamp to control a model car? The car would have a motor for driving the wheels, a servo for steering, and some kind of touch sensors.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-08-09 01:09
    Jeffrey,

·· You sure can use the Homework Board...You will need to either build or buy some sort of Motor Driver circuit for your project, but if you just bought the "What's A Microcontroller?" kit from Radio Shack, I would certainly go through all the projects in that first so you have a good understanding of how to connect to the BASIC Stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • jeffrey morrisjeffrey morris Posts: 52
    edited 2005-08-09 01:24
    Is there a motor controller for the Homework Board? The book that came with the Radio Shack WAM Kit only has circuits and code for servo motors, not regular motors. What about the motors that came with the BOE-BOT Kit?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-08-09 02:18
    Jeffrey,

You can look at a number of off-the-shelf motor controllers which we sell, such as the ones from Pololu or Solutions Cubed. They generally take a serial input and manage the PWM to drive the motors. Or, you can make your own H-bridge. Take a look at Column 23 here, also: http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/nvcolumns/Nuts_Volts_Download_V1.asp

Almost anything is possible depending on what you connect to a BASIC Stamp, but get through what you're doing first. This group can answer any question once you've dialed in the particular question.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Cool DCool D Posts: 4
    edited 2005-08-19 19:46
    Yes. My students did it in robotics class. The speed control for the back wheels are controlled by the same signal that controls servo position. The steering also is controlled by servo control using pulseout comand. Add some IR or ultrasonic rangers and you are in bussiness.