Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
CTRL-V (paste) goes to wrong window in Stamp IDE v2.2 — Parallax Forums

CTRL-V (paste) goes to wrong window in Stamp IDE v2.2

danieldaniel Posts: 231
edited 2005-08-03 18:02 in BASIC Stamp
Context:· Basix Stamp Editor/Development System v2.2

When I attempt to use Ctrl-V to paste the clipboard content into the Find/Replace dialog (when that dialog has focus, and either the Find or the Replace field has focus), the buffer content is placed in the IDE's editor window at the cursor.

I was expecting to be able to select and copy a string from the IDE editor window, highlight another string in the IDE, then open the Find/Replace dialog (which will defaul the Find field to the current highlighted IDE text) and paste the clipboard buffer into the Replace field.

Is my expectation different from the design intent?

Daniel

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-08-03 03:24
    Daniel,

·· If you want a word to appear in the Find selection of the editor Find/Replace window, simply highlight it either by dragging across it or double-clicking it, then select Find/Replace from the Edit Menu.· This will place the selected text into the Find box.··Also you can select keywords the same way, then select F1 to bring up help on that command.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • danieldaniel Posts: 231
    edited 2005-08-03 04:14
    Chris,

I understand, and use, both of those techniques.

I'm asking about the unexpected behavior of the paste insertion point never leaving the IDE editor screen when the Find/Replace dialog is open.

My expectation is set by my experience with a number of other editors/IDEs where, as an additional step to the one you describe of automatically loading the currently highlighted text into the Find text-box, I can paste the current contents of the paste buffer into the Replace text-box.·

As it is now, I can pre-load the Find string, but I must manually type the Replace string.· This can be a problem (rather, annoyance) when the replacement string is lengthy.

Perhaps my expection is not the design intent, though.

Daniel
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-08-03 04:58
    Daniel,

··· I will look into this tomorrow.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • NavNav Posts: 23
    edited 2005-08-03 10:23
    Yup, Daniel is quite right.· I have V2.2 and the same problem.· It does seem counter to the way other Windows editors work.
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 755
    edited 2005-08-03 17:59
    Hi,

I became aware of that problem in version 2.1 and have yet to find the reason why it is occuring (it is not intentional).· I intend to fix it for the next major release.· Sorry for the inconvenience.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • danieldaniel Posts: 231
    edited 2005-08-03 18:02
    Thanks, Jeff.