Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB Serial Port stays open — Parallax Forums

USB Serial Port stays open

blucasblucas Posts: 1
edited 2005-08-02 17:01 in BASIC Stamp
All, I'm new to Parallax and just received my USB starter kit. The initial detection works fine of the BOE and I can download the code to the Basic Stamp module. However, subsequent operations to the module result in either the BOE not being detected or the my XP Pro SP2 laptop hanging stating that the COM port is in use or it will just say "Scanning." In either case, powering down the BOE does not help and I am forced to reboot the system. After reboot, I had to Disable then Enable the USB Serial Port via Device Manager to get it to detect the BOE and then the above process repeats again. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or is there an update to the software that helps control this. I am using version 2.2 of the Stamp Editor.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-08-02 17:01
    Hello,

·· This is most likely caused by an improperly installed USB Driver.· On some systems Windows XP will try to install a driver it thinks is the correct one, but manages to not work correctly.· Please see the instructions on the link below for re-installing the driver.· The driver itself is also available at that link, or on the CD that came with your BOE-Bot.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28850

(Bottom of the page)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com