Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MicroWeb Serv — Parallax Forums

MicroWeb Serv

MeganMegan Posts: 3
edited 2005-08-12 13:53 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!

··· I am trying to use the software MicroWeb Serv from CSMicrosystems (http://www.csmicrosystems.com/) to control my Stamp II over the internet. I downloaded the software and found almost NO documentation. This particular software is mentioned in one of the Parallax documents for the boebot, so I kind of assumed it would be explained somewhere but no luck so far. Has anyone used this? Or have any advice? The main website does not even have a support or FAQ - it claims those sections will be "online soon."· [noparse]:o[/noparse](

Thanks in advance!!
For anyone who wants to know - the end goal of the project is to set up a website from which users can control a motor in my advisor's·physics lab to complete an experiment (move a motor, take data, etc). I hope to use the MicroWeb Serv to send commands to the stamp from the web page...if possible.

Megan

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-07-29 20:56
    This doesn't provide much information but http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/article/IntSprg03.pdf
    Also did you check both the in-program help file and ancillary files installed for documentation?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-07-29 20:59
    Megan,

I'm the only person at Parallax who has used MicroWebServ extensively. Indeed, it does work. As you noted, documentation is non-existent. I used to have several projects our web visitors could control (a thermostat, a Stamp e-mail generator) and a Boe-Bot. All of them have been taken off-line. For now we're not supporting the MicroWebServ software since the manufacturer is not showing any improvements. They're not showing any effort to support the product, so it's probably as good as dead unless you can make some phone contact and find out what's really going on.

Seems to be some kind of problem with our suppliers of Stamp-internet technology. Red-I is another example. My suggestion would be to look at NetBurner unless you find the non-existent documentation for MicroWebServ to be functional.

The best I could do is dig up some old code examples.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • MeganMegan Posts: 3
    edited 2005-07-29 21:54
    Thanks - I'm glad I'm not just overlooking the "EZ Start-Up Guide" or anything.
    I'll try to contact the company on Monday and will post results here in case anyone else would find them helpful. In the meantime, do you recall where to start this sort of thing? There are a few .bs2 files buried in the download, and a few .html files, but I really don't understand how they relate. Do I need to set up a web site first? Do I program the stamp first? I looked at the code for the example that is supposed to send an email, and another that gets the IP address, but both want an input pin to be high to trigger their execution. I don't see how the html file is going to do that, since it isn't hardware..."just" software.
    If answers are a pain to find, please don't bother - I understand there are reasons why you choose not to use this software anymore - but since it has already been purchased, if I can get on the right track and figure this out, painful as it may be, I'd like to.

HAPPY WEEKEND!
    Megan
  • MeganMegan Posts: 3
    edited 2005-08-12 13:53
    Well, folks, here's what I found after many unanswered phone calls and emails....

Ken Brown of MicroSystems says:
    ----
    The MyMWS.com service is no longer up and running.

Due to the complexity of connecting a microcontroller to the Internet I·belive
    that MWS will be re-writen to cater more to·corporate user instead of the hobbiyst
    market.
    ----
    So there is no future for the software. Fortunately, Ken was very helpful and did provide me with a how-to (not sure why that didn't come with the original software download but oh well). I'll be able to make it work for my application - anyone else who wants the how-to can email me. Otherwise, I recommend something else that is actually supported. [noparse]:o[/noparse])