Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Does anyone have a Site Player success story? — Parallax Forums

Does anyone have a Site Player success story?

Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
edited 2005-09-03 03:23 in BASIC Stamp
I'm trying to implement the BS2 to an industrial application. In a nutshell, I need to monitor a switch for closure. The task is simple enough, but I need to communicate with our network. It looks like I can take a readily available cellular modem with an ethernet connection, and connect it to the Stamp via the SitePlayer telnet. Isn't that what the SitePlayer does, translate RS232 to ethernet? Or is this simply the wishful thinking of a desperate individual?
·

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-07-29 12:37
    SitePlayer is technically a web-server. Site-Player Telnet is the ethernet to rs232 bridge.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-07-29 15:14
    The Siteplayer and Siteplayer telnet are basically the same module. Both can be used for RS232 <=> Ether bridging. You get a neat little package with the Telnet....

Previous to my employment at Parallax I was posting quite a bit on my uses of the siteplayer modules-

Be prepared though, they can be touchy-

Here is another group of threads about this: http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=5&m=73174

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke

Parallax Tech Support
    rclarke@parallax.com

Post Edited (Ryan Clarke (Parallax)) : 7/29/2005 3:26:49 PM GMT
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-07-29 15:31
    Thanks for the input. The Site Player Telnet is what I was looking at I guess indidn't initially notice the (telnet) difference. I think I need some serious study on TCPIP and a bunch of other networking acronyms.
  • HiTekGizmosHiTekGizmos Posts: 14
    edited 2005-09-03 03:23
    I think you'll find the siteplayer can be used to monitor upto 8 inputs with no additional hardware...