Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
stepper motor suggestions — Parallax Forums

stepper motor suggestions

BzdegaBzdega Posts: 1
edited 2005-07-30 15:25 in BASIC Stamp
I have·some questions about using the Mitsumi·12V 4 phase Unipolar stepper motor.· First, I was planning on using the BASICstamp as the indexer and·two ULN2803 transitor drivers to run two stepper motors simultaniously.· However, after reading·the·literature·I want to make sure·I·will get the performance I need.· I need to have a lot of torque (around 8 kg-cm)·under varying loads to move a paddle through a pile of sand.· Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on this setup?· By the way, I can not use R/C servos because I need position control for a full 360+ degrees, unless you know an easy solution.· Thanks for the help and take care.

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-07-28 17:28
    Here is a good article covering stepper motors. You'll want to drive it in full step mode to get the most torque possible since it is the only unipolar drive technique which always has two coils energized simultaneously.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • AmaralAmaral Posts: 176
    edited 2005-07-28 22:33
    how about use an encoder with the servos ?

how precise your run must be ?
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-07-30 15:25
    Amaral said...
    how about use an encoder with the servos ?

how precise your run must be ?
    Amaral,
    Are you making a suggestion or are you asking about how to use an encoder with a servo?· We do offer encoders that can be used with servos.· Here is a link for more information:·http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28107·.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·