Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Port is in use? — Parallax Forums

Port is in use?

Patrick DPatrick D Posts: 62
edited 2005-07-30 15:03 in BASIC Stamp
I asked this once before and it turned out that my Palm Pilot software was jumping on the comm port -
This time I have the Palm SW set to manually run.· On a fresh boot, w/o starting anything, when I try to connect to my BOE, I get an error message telling me that the port is in use.· I thought I was fairly computer literate, but I can't seem to figure out what is using my comm port.· I am using XP pro - any ideas?

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-07-28 04:39
    Patrick -

Same question asked two different ways: who is issuing the port contention message, or what program is being started just before this message appears?

If the program in question is the Stamp Editor, are you setting the COMM port manually in the Stamp Editor, or are you permitting the Stamp Editor to determine where the attached Stamp is (which COMM port)?

Is the comm port being indicated as "in use" an ordinary serial port (RS-232) or a USB port?

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Patrick DPatrick D Posts: 62
    edited 2005-07-29 19:35
    Sorry for the delay getting back to you - had to leave town on an unexpected business trip.

I was using Stamp Plot Pro to connect - when I get the error message, I closed that and then opened the Stamp Editor - and got the same message. My PC/BOE uses the serial port COM1.

No other software I use is set to use the COM port. Also - no new software has been added and no changes to existing software has occurred - except for possible automatic windows update?
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-07-30 15:03
    Are you using a USB to serial adapter?· If so, you may want to go into your Device Manager and see what ports are available.· You may have to manually change the port setting·in your Device Manager.· If you still can't get it to work, please contact tech support at 1-888-997-8267 and we can walk you through it.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·