Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Control the Basic Stamp via Serial? (newb question) — Parallax Forums

Control the Basic Stamp via Serial? (newb question)

bobbarkerbobbarker Posts: 2
edited 2005-07-27 13:23 in BASIC Stamp
First off, great site, lots of info and cool projects.
I've got a Board of Education with the Basic Stamp II on it and I have some hobby servos I picked up at a hobby store and I can write programs and what not that will move them to do different things, but what I would really like to do is make a pan and tilt system for my webcam that can be controled throuhg the serial port on the computer and BOE.

From what I've read if I decide to make this a permanent setup I should probably get the actual servo controller instead of using the BOE as the servo controller.

Thanks!

(sorry for grammer and spelling, my laptop just lost battery power and I had to use a PDA...

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo Posts: 40
    edited 2005-07-27 02:50
    short of writing a program in c++ or java to handle the serial IO, you can control the BS2 through the debug window using some various commands (serin, serout, debug, etc.) read up on these in the help to get a better understanding of them. Hope this helps.
  • bobbarkerbobbarker Posts: 2
    edited 2005-07-27 04:15
    My plan actually is to have a java applet on a webpage to control the device from a webbrowser, but I'll check out the debug terminal.

Thanks for the info
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-07-27 13:23
    You can certainly control the BASIC Stamp serially -- it's quite easy to use SERIN (even on the programming port) to accept commands from an external master and process them, running routines on the BASIC Stamp that may do something with outputs or even grab input data (perhaps from an ADC) and send it back to the master.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax