Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BOE power failure — Parallax Forums

BOE power failure

Tony BoersmaTony Boersma Posts: 41
edited 2005-07-26 16:36 in BASIC Stamp
My BOE stopped working. It was working last night but tonight it isn't. I changed the batteries so it isn't the batteries. I might have left the power on, could it have overheated? I'm extremely new to this I apologize if it's been addressed already.
Tony

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-07-26 04:26
    Tony,

What isn't working? Program download to the BS2-IC? Is the power supply switch in POS 1 or 2? Any other serial port utilities running (PDAs, Hyperterminal)? Serial cable still connected at both ends? Leaving power on won't overheat a BOE. Is this BOE on a BOT? Do you mean that when you turn your BOT on the BOE (and BS2) don't execute the code properly? If this is a BOT maybe your servos are not connected. You need to have the power switch in 2 for servos to get power.

Don't apologize for asking questions. Too many people are afraid to ask questions in forums. Ask them all.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Tony BoersmaTony Boersma Posts: 41
    edited 2005-07-26 04:29
    When I flip the switch the LED does not come on. When I try to program it does not see the Stamp. It is a Bot but not currently in Bot function. Power supply in both positions gets equal results.
    Thanks for your prompt response.
    Tony
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-07-26 05:19
    Tony,

·· I realize you tried different batteries, but do you have another fresh set you could try?· Quite often it seems nowadays people will buy a new set of batteries only to find that they have a dead cell, causing problems.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-07-26 13:06
    Tony,

Last time I had this problem I was making a short across the power supply. Do you have any circuit on the board which might be connecting Vdd/Vin to Gnd? The regulator will be really hot if you are doing this, and the LED will be off. Servos plugged in backwards?

Hmmm. Try another power supply. Remove parts from the breadboard. Try again. It's very odd for a BOE to failure like this one.

Wait. I know what the problem is. It's got to be your battery pack. Check it with a voltmeter. Some of the battery packs get a short between the 2.1mm jack and the connection to the 4AA housing. Also, check to see that the battery pack doesn't have any bare wires touching the Bot's metal frame.

Okay, running out of tips on my end. If you're still down call us for an RMA so we can get you a new one.

- Ken
  • Tony BoersmaTony Boersma Posts: 41
    edited 2005-07-26 15:15
    Nope, you were right. It was a short like you said. I basically took apart my circuit (Nothing complex) and it is fine now. Thanks guys, you were a lot of help.
    Tony

One last thing, I work in the carwash industry is there a forum where I can see if anyone in the industry has used Stamps for a carwash related application.
    edited 2005-07-26 16:36
    Hi Tony,

Have you seen the Customer Applications section of our web site? I don't think there's a specific "car wash" application, but the principles you will apply have been done in other applications. See the industrial and science customer applications - their use of SSRs, temperature measurement, humidity, pump controllers, object detection is pretty much what you'll probably be doing with a car wash.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from a customer in Barbados who was using Stamps to control his laundromat equipment, so I guess it is somewhat similar.

While you're at it, maybe you can make a robotic dog washer.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.