Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 with onboard ADC — Parallax Forums

BS2 with onboard ADC

cyberbiotacyberbiota Posts: 79
edited 2005-07-25 17:12 in BASIC Stamp
Dear Parallax Development Folks-

Are there any plans to make a Stamp with an mcu that has an onboard ADC? I know that there are a variety of ways of accomplishing this with external hardware, but would prefer to use a single chip solution. If this is something you are thinking about, please know that you would have at least one customer for such a design... [noparse];)[/noparse]

peter

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Peter C. Charles

Director, Research and Technology
CyberBiota, Incorporated
Peter.charles@cyberbiota.com
http://www.cyberbiota.com

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-07-25 16:42
    Peter,

·· This topic comes up often, especially with so many clones trying to cram as much extra hardware into their products as they can.· One problem with this is that you can't satisfy everyone with one device.· Here's an example:

·· Say we included an 8-bit single channel ADC on-chip.· Now Mr. Jones buys our chip and decides he needs 12-bit and 2 channels...Now what?· By leaving the architecture somewhat open, you have more flexibility to connect exactly what you want, and not get a bunch of things you may not need or ever use.· Plus let's not forget all the changes to the software and firmware to support on-board devices, affecting compatibility.

·· Things like ADC chips are so easy to connect to the Stamp Module and access, that there's really not enough reason to make those kinds of changes.· If you need assitance connecting and using an ADC chip, feel free to post.· Chances are someone has code for it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • cyberbiotacyberbiota Posts: 79
    edited 2005-07-25 17:08
    Chris-

Thanks for the reply- After looking through the slew of PIC's with ADC that microchip offers, I realized that no one solution would fit everyone's need (why else would they sell so many different configurations?!). I am just cramped for space on a project and didn't want to stick another chip on the board.

peter

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Peter C. Charles

Director, Research and Technology
    CyberBiota, Incorporated
    Peter.charles@cyberbiota.com
    http://www.cyberbiota.com
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-07-25 17:12
    Peter,

·· I totally understand and sympathize with you.· But everytime in the past I have gotten into something like that I have also regretted it later.· You may be able to make some sort of a piggy back board that the Stamp Module plugs into which holds the ADC?· I have seen Sid (Newzed) do this very thing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com