Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 And Dallas One Wire, Can it be done? — Parallax Forums

BS2 And Dallas One Wire, Can it be done?

knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
edited 2005-07-27 22:53 in BASIC Stamp
I havn't even really had a chance to look, but I was wondering if anyone had any success at creating a method of putting a dallas one wire IC onto a BS2's pin.

I'm mostly trying to get a DS2401 onto a BS2.

The DS2401 is a silicon serial number, I want to have multiple stamps, and need a form of identification for these stamps, this would take up significantly less number of pins than a "dip" switch style ID system.

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-07-23 10:54
    You would need to add a serial-to-one-wire converter in the mix. The BS2p-family supports the 1-Wire protocol, other Stamps do not.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • SPENCESPENCE Posts: 204
    edited 2005-07-23 12:07
    USE A PARALLEL TO SERIAL SHIFT REGISTER WITH DIP SWITCH ON THE PARALLEL SIDE. OR JUST HARD WIRE THE PARALLEL INPUT PINS HI OR LOW. 1 PART WITH NO FANCY JUMPING THROUGH LOOPS INTERFACE. (IE KISS)

THEN YOU CAN CHANGE SERIAL NUMBERS AS YOU WANT.

SPENCE
    K4KEP

Post Edited (SPENCE) : 7/23/2005 12:10:13 PM GMT
  • knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
    edited 2005-07-23 20:12
    I had considered using a parallel shift register, but thought the ds2401 would make a neater appearance, also no accidental setting of the device to the wrong address.

Thank you, Jon, I was afraid I'd have to implement a One-Wire-To-Serial converter, but wasn't sure if it could be done with the BS2, without a converter. Would the converter you spoke of be a DS2480B?

I am very likly to just go with a set if dip switches and a parallel shift register, after looking at the data sheet for the DS2480B.

Knight.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-07-27 14:25
    The shift register approach is pretty clean, and lets you change a board address more easily that using a hard-wired part like a silicon serial number.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • YanroyYanroy Posts: 96
    edited 2005-07-27 14:34
    Is there a reason not to hard-code the serial number into the stamp's EEPROM?· In my mind, the chief advantage of a stamp over other microcontrollers is the ease of programming... You have to download the code to each stamp anyways; it wouldn't be much more effort to change a number in the code.
    edited 2005-07-27 22:51
    Yanroy said...
    Is there a reason not to hard-code the serial number into the stamp's EEPROM? In my mind, the chief advantage of a stamp over other microcontrollers is the ease of programming... You have to download the code to each stamp anyways; it wouldn't be much more effort to change a number in the code.

This is for a product that might (one day, maybe) get sold to the public. I don't want the public to have to reprogram the EEProm. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2005-07-27 22:53
    Yanroy said...
    Is there a reason not to hard-code the serial number into the stamp's EEPROM? In my mind, the chief advantage of a stamp over other microcontrollers is the ease of programming... You have to download the code to each stamp anyways; it wouldn't be much more effort to change a number in the code.

Nevermind, I catch what your saying. Instead of programming into the EEProm the device code for that house, you'd program in a unique serial number into the EEProm. That's an option, however it's not as.... streamline? as I'd like. I think I'm just going to go with a set of 8 dip switches. I appreciate the suggestion though, I hadn't thought of it. [noparse]:)[/noparse]