Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cross-Bank use of the various RAM — Parallax Forums

Cross-Bank use of the various RAM

danieldaniel Posts: 231
edited 2005-07-23 16:19 in BASIC Stamp
I've read the PBASIC Online Help,Tracy Allen's·application notes, Al William's FAQ entries, Scott Edwards' description of BACKUP / RESTORE context saving routines, Peter Verkaik's call-return code and recalled the discussion several years ago of the same.

I just want to be sure that I understand the memory usage of the multi-bank Stamps·correctly.

Are the following statements true:

1. Scratchpad RAM is preserved between bank switching (e.g., RUN).

2. A bank can be used as· an up-to-2Kb RAM (e.g., STORE·+·READ/WRITE), and when used as such, one must keep in mind the·standard write-cycle limitations of the EEPROM.

3. When used as in #2, that EEPROM is preserved across bank switches.

4. Standard RAM is preserved between bank switching (e.g., RUN).· However,·each bank's view of RAM can be viewed as a sort of UNION·(in the C language sense) of all the bank's RAM usage.

5. With something like Edward's BACKUP / RESTORE, can I treat the 26·bytes of general-purpose·standard RAM as dedicated to a bank; that is, with care, I can treat each bank as having its own dedicated 26 bytes of general-purpose RAM, allowing me to pretend that I have (8 * 26) = 208 bytes of GP RAM.

6. Both RAM and Scratchpad-RAM are volitile, banks used as EEPROM RAM are not.

Daniel

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-07-23 10:57
    1. Yes.
    2. It's not RAM; it is nonvolatile storage.
    3. Yes.
    4. Yes -- so it you need to preserve variables after run, keep the RAM definitions constant between banks.
    5. No; you have 26 bytes of variable RAM. Period.
    6. RAM is volitile; EEPROM is not.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • danieldaniel Posts: 231
    edited 2005-07-23 12:49
    Jon Williams (Parallax) said...
    5. No; you have 26 bytes of variable RAM. Period.
    I understand.· 26 Bytes of RAM.· Is this a better wording for #5?

5. With clever tricks like those described by Verkaik, Allen, and Edwards, one can implement a type of virtual memory scheme, swapping those 26 Bytes (less·overhead as required by the trick) into either Scratchpad·RAM or a bank's EEPROM.

Daniel
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2005-07-23 15:17
    Also, add Jon's article to your reading list...

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol3/col/nv87.pdf

Note what he says about "plan your work and work your plan"!

Avoid the temptation to turn the Stamp into a supercomputer with a vast array of memory through a general scheme of memory swapping. That will be slow for sure and unecessary in most cases for things the Stamp will do. A lot of it instead will be ad hoc to solve a particular problem. It does help to be systematic, that is, to understand as you do the capabiltities of the different types of available memory, and then to plan ahead and draw from a bag of tricks that come from experience and example.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • danieldaniel Posts: 231
    edited 2005-07-23 16:19
    Thanks, Jon, for the information.

Thank you, Tracy, for the reference to Jon's article. I had forgotten that one. And thank you for the admonition.

In this particular applications case, I'm trying to avoid going just yet to an SX, and I think that a little virtual memory will do the trick.

Daniel