Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp not detected — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp not detected

ER-DrER-Dr Posts: 26
edited 2005-07-21 17:34 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
I just recieved my BS2sx.
My laptop does not have a serial port DB9, so i purchased a USB to serial port extension
when i try to identify the stamp i get 'Yes' for echo and 'Yes' for loopback. nothing under device though
when i try to run the 'hello world' program i get the message
No Basic Stamps found!

any ideas as to why?
Thanks

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-07-19 23:00
    Make sure to change the "Latency" to 1.· The way to do this, is go to the Device Manager on your PC and then click on Ports and then click the Port Setting tab and click the Advance button and then you can set the Latency to one.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • ER-DrER-Dr Posts: 26
    edited 2005-07-19 23:10
    hi Dave,

I went but saw nothing about 'latency'

all that was there was the following
    baud rate 9600
    data bits··· 8
    parity······· none
    stop bits···· one
    flow control· none

mike
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-07-19 23:22
    Which USB to serial adapter are you using?· There are only few brands that will work with the BASIC Stamps.· We sell the FTDI that works great.· Here is a link for more information:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=800-00030

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-07-20 14:16
    Since the verbiage indicates it's a "PDA to USB Adapter", it is quite possible they don't implement the RTS/CTS, DTR/DCD handshake signals with timing tight enough to allow use with a BS2. This is a limitation of the vendor -- they get sloppy in order to cut costs -- and not a limitation of Parallax.

The FTDI unit, the BAFO unit, and the Keyspan units are known to work well.
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-07-21 16:18
    I have experienced USB problems somtimes rebooting with the STAMP connected will let the PC "find" and identify the port. Also low voltage/battery issues can be a problem. You should measure 4.98v between Vdd (+) and Vss(-).
  • roseandthistleroseandthistle Posts: 5
    edited 2005-07-21 17:34
    I, too had this problem with a belkin usb to serial adapter. It turned out the belkin was not rs232 compliant. I found an adapter made by IOGEAR, model # GUC232A. It seems to work great. Hope this helps.