Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Large LED Array — Parallax Forums

Large LED Array

jtrzjtrz Posts: 40
edited 2005-07-20 15:05 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend any large LED arays·larger than 8x8 and a way to control them to make letters, numbers, and other items like simple animation appear in the array ?· I've seen an 8x8 full color somewhere but I don't remember where I saw it.

OR is there a way to take smaller LED arrays (like the 5x7 ones Parallax used in the medals for the 2005 robotics tournament) and put them together to make one larger one (and a method to control it too) ?

Any "gotchas" on doing it either way ?

Thanks,

John

Comments

• MaxiOmegaMaxiOmega Posts: 10
    edited 2005-07-20 15:05
    John,
    Here is a couple of ideas. Years back I built a relay board with 72 outputs, it used 4 stamps that all had to work together. The output relays rated with 10 amp contacts, and 9 volt coils has allowed me to use this set up on almost any idea, space permitting. I have reciently built several boards with only 16, as they are smaller and easier to program for. I hold the SnowFlake award from our local parade of lights from 2002 for computerized animation with Christmas Lights. It is the second most prestigious award they offer. I have quite a string of Holiday lighting awards for such displays as 17,400 lights all controlled by basic stamps. I currently have a Nascar display in my local Walmart store with an animated race car. The car is cut out of plywood and drilled to hold about 1000 lights, painted to match the Nascar it is a copy of. Then with all the lights inserted with the colors to match the car, the car is visualy put into motion with a bs2. The wheels look like they turn, and run in time with the body, and even the window reflection was considered, as it goes the other direction when in slow speed, at high speed it is a fast blur. I have recieved rave reviews from some of the top dogs at Walmart for this.
    With working with this idea, comming up with a scrolling display say even 20ft X 100ft would be easy, by taking the output from the led driver and feeding it to the relay board, then just layout your Christmas lights to resemble very large led segments. I have thought about doing this with about 20,000 lights across the whole roof for Christmas. I would be like having my own marquis board.

Greg