Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newest Parallax Robot — Parallax Forums

Newest Parallax Robot

Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
edited 2005-07-22 22:43 in Robotics
I stumbled onto Parallax's newest robot and have received permission to leak it's existance. It is the Scribbler Robot, a joint venture between Parallax, Element Products and Bueno Systems. It is a fully assembled robot geared towards younger·and less experienced users and has a BS2 for its brains. The website is www.ScribblerRobot.com and Parallax·expects product availibility August 13. It appears it will have a very cool GUI flowchart based programming interface.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
·1+1=10

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 7/19/2005 5:12:02 PM GMT

Comments

• YanroyYanroy Posts: 96
    edited 2005-07-19 17:37
    that looks and awful lot like one of those turtles from way back in the day.· I've always wanted to build one of those.· However, I don't think this one can raise and lower the pen on command?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-07-19 18:50
    Dear Paul and other customers,

The Scribbler will be officially announced on August 10th, in just over three weeks. Most of our Scribbler team is finishing support-related documentation and examples, so we'll be a bit loathe to answer questions until our release is made public. You can count on the Scribbler being a very well-developed, complete product, especially for a first release.

For now, you're free to·surf the www.scribblerrobot.com web site to see what this robot is all about.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

attachment.php?attachmentid=38323
    600 x 366 - 80K
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-07-19 19:24
    Very nice. I've used the Mindstorms graphical programming interface, and it can be very intuitive -- and looks similar in some ways to this thing. The kids (5th and 6th graders) found that interface very useable.

I hope the price is not too high. It looks like a wonderful platform. I'd hope around $100 each, though that could be unrealistic. Note a Mindstorms kit is $200.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-07-19 19:52
    Allan,

The price question is one I can answer now => $99.95. Under a hundred bucks.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • OrionOrion Posts: 236
    edited 2005-07-19 22:56
    $99.95!! Thats a steal! Put me down for one...

Backordered, I take it that desk above has cleared out [noparse]:([/noparse]

Post Edited (Orion) : 7/19/2005 11:01:51 PM GMT
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-07-20 01:48
    Here's a thought....could you replace the pen on the bottom with a laser....then put out a large sheet of photoetch PCB and draw circuits on it!!

haha....cool for sure though!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2005-07-20 03:12
    Great 'bot, if I do say so myself!·Ken, are the motors DC Brush or servo?
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Boe-bot: $229

Toddler: $249

Learning Google is your friend: priceless
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-07-22 02:31
    I wish it had steppers to give absolute control to movement.
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module" Now available from Parallax for only $28.95

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

Product web site: www.sxvm.com

"One experiment is worth a thousand theories"
    ·
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-07-22 05:43
    I got to see one, and they are neat!

Ryan
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-07-22 12:18
    "I wish it had steppers to give absolute control..."

Yeah, yeah, everybody's a critic these days.

For heaven's sake -- it has built in hardware for line following, IR bumpers, two motors, light sensors, a speaker, and three programmable LED's. AND it costs $99.95. AND it has that nice blue saucer shell. I suspect the 'pen holder' was an afterthought, but clever. AND it has that neat graphical programming interface.

Gosh, I remember two years ago when the Tab Robots SumoBot (not sumo compatible) hit the scene at $100. All it had was two motors, IR bumpers, and a prototyping area.

Hopefully, this will be a wonderful standard platform that will be almost immediatly 'kit-bashed' for other purposes. I'm sure you can be the first to install stepper motors (and a 595 to expand the I/O ports).

Well, there's an idea -- how about a nice plug for a Parallax app-mod, so we can add prototyping boards?

I'm not criticizing in ANY way, mind you.
  • PLJackPLJack Posts: 398
    edited 2005-07-22 22:43
    allanlane5 said...
    "I wish it had steppers to give absolute control..."

Yeah, yeah, everybody's a critic these days.

For heaven's sake..... <clip>

I think Bean was being sarcastic regarding the "Community Mill" thread.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - PLJack - - -

Perfection in design is not achieved when there is nothing left to add.
    It is achieved when there is nothing left to take away.