Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
newb — Parallax Forums

newb

theyetheye Posts: 31
edited 2005-07-25 04:01 in Robotics
hi i starter with the boebot and i already finish the tutorial book what can i do now
if any one can help a i will be complety happy thanks

·

Comments

• edited 2005-07-19 05:08
    In terms of Stamps in Class Curriculum Tutorials, What's a Microcontroller, Understanding Signals, IR Remote for the Boe-Bot, all work pretty well as next steps.

In terms of mounting extra sensors on the Boe-Bot, take a look at the Sensors page.· The Ping))) Ultrasonic Sensor, Hitachi HM55B Compass Module, and Memsic 2125 Dual Axis Accelerometer can add functionality to your Boe-Bot and may come in handy for other projects.

There are some interesting kits for the Boe-Bot on the Boe-Bot Accessories page, two of my favorites are the QTI Line Follower Appkit and the Boe-Bot Digital Encoder kit.

Post Edited (Andy Lindsay (Parallax)) : 7/19/2005 5:12:39 AM GMT
  • theyetheye Posts: 31
    edited 2005-07-19 05:43
    can i make my bie-bot solar
  • edited 2005-07-19 06:41
    Hmmm, that's a great idea. There's no actual kit to do that at present, but there are some helpful experiments that use solar panels to recharge batteries in Experiments with Renewable Energy.
    edited 2005-07-20 01:03
    thats great my dream is to make a solar robot cool and anothero question i have about three servos for rc airplanes. can i put those servos to my boe-bot or to do another project like a robotic hand
  • edited 2005-07-20 05:07
    The servos on the Boe-Bot are continuous rotation, which is a modified hobby servo. Converting them back to the standard design is not convenient. It would be more practical go just get some Standard Servos.· To see the difference in how standard servos behave and are controlled, see What's a Microcontroller, Chapter 4.· Incidentally, the hobby servo in the What's a Microcontroller kit can be used in hobby projects when you're done with the projects in that book.

Post Edited (Andy Lindsay (Parallax)) : 7/20/2005 5:11:43 AM GMT
  • AmaralAmaral Posts: 176
    edited 2005-07-20 05:14
    You surely can, I used some Futaba and Hobbico servos without any problems, the code is very similar to the continuous rotation servo.
    I think that’s explained at “what’s a microcontroller” book, but any way for the BS2 would be something like this:

PULSOUT servo pin, pulse
    PAUSE 50

The “servo pin” is where the pin (white cable) of the servo is connected (usually somewhere over the 12 thru the 15 pin)
    And the “pulse” , it’s a constant that may vary from 200 thru 1200 , try some values to determine witch is your limits , if you pass the limit , turn off , try another value , don’t force the servo too much for too long , I heard that this may damage de servo ( I never got to damage any of mines , even doing serious things wrong , this things are very resistant in my opinion )

Ricardo Amaral
    edited 2005-07-21 03:34
    cool and theres is another ways to put five servos in my boe-bot i have three futaba and three jrservo.
    edited 2005-07-21 05:33
    Put all of then, , you have many pins free for it , but please , give us picture of that when that's finished , I would like to see a Boe Bot with all this servos , I mean, what they all gonna do ?

Ricardo Amaral
    edited 2005-07-21 21:00
    jejej cool i will try to put son hands to my boe-bot or try to make something extrange like to make hands like octopus jejejeje
    edited 2005-07-21 21:04
    but i will like to know how can i put thos servos in my boe-bot because he have only 4 slot to put servos. I am using a bs2 rev c thanks amaral you are giving me great help.

if you see something wrong in my writing is because i am from puerto rico
    edited 2005-07-21 22:07
    OK Theye , I wouldn’t note that you are from Puerto Rico , I'm from Brasil !

you do have the book that came with the BOE, over there you will see some pages on how to plug the servo with the home work Board (page 63), you can use the whiskers connections (that little 3 pin together) to connect you servo on the board, if you are already using those, a piece of wire gauge 20 will work perfectly.

Anything I can help, just ask!

Ricardo Amaral
    edited 2005-07-22 04:02
    cool amaral thanks. Did you know something about solar power or solar conection, the thing is that all those servos are for a project taht i have in mind since i was 13 years old, i have 17. I will like to do a exploration robot amd one of the important thing to me is the solar cell or solar power

thanks ohh and my nam is Ricardo too jejejeje
    edited 2005-07-22 04:18
    OK ... Great colection

what do you want to know about solar power ? I don't know much , but may be I can Help.

Ricardo Amaral
    edited 2005-07-22 14:41
    how much solar cells i need to put on a boebot and how i can do it
    edited 2005-07-22 14:45
    i think that is solar panels not solar cells sorry
    edited 2005-07-25 02:05
    Sorry about the delay!

The boe Bot with the contious rotation servos can draw up to 1,05 Amp ( I test if on mine with fresh batteries, and both wheels been hold ) that means that at 6V you gonna need about 6W to run it ( this is the worst case ).

Solar panels are rated at full sun and perfectly perpendicular do the sun , I would look for some panels that gives me about 8W. this will be about the size of an A4 sheet of paper.
    Try to buy something already rated for 6V or some panel that can be rewired, this way you won't loose too much power with regulators.

I would try E-Bay for that.

I hope that helps. anything else , keep posting

Ricardo Amaral
    edited 2005-07-25 03:51
    thanks amaral i buy in radio shack three little solar panels that generate 0.55. I need about 12 of this things to make my boe bot solar. Can you send me a photo about how i can put the others servos because i try it but the servors don't do anything
    edited 2005-07-25 03:53
    and what means the the W in the left on the 6 = 6W
    edited 2005-07-25 04:01
    W = Watt that is Volt x Ampere , it's a unit of POWER.

This solar panels that you are talking about , generate 0.55 what ? 0.55 Amps ? if so at what voltage ?

about the servo conection , have you seen the page 63 of your Boe Bot book ? if yes, check your conections and try a pulsout for each servo at a time.

Ricardo Amaral