Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
n00b needs help starting out — Parallax Forums

n00b needs help starting out

battamerbattamer Posts: 1
edited 2005-07-20 17:28 in BASIC Stamp
I am no stranger to programming but I have exactly no experience with the BASIC Stamp, although I have heard much about it and have been eager to play with it for a long time. I was directed to this site as a good place to get help. I know how annoying it is to get questions from people who know nothing, so I was wondering if any of you could point out a good book to get me started, as well as some kind of idea about how much this hobby would cost for a beginner. I don't plan on making a living out of it, but it would be cool to be able to have some devices to call my own.

Thanks alot,
battamer

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-07-19 02:38
    What's a Microntroller is a good choice - Radio Shack sells it for less than Parallax thru a special deal - $79. This includes the textbook, BS2 Homework board, DB9 cable and some parts to perform all the experiments in the book. You'll just need to supply a 9V battery and a PC running Windows 98 (or newer) that has a serial port.
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-07-19 03:16
    This forum is very helpful. Be sure to checkout the downloads section at the Parallax website. http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/index.asp
    Parallax goes to great lengths to make tons of their documentation available. One piece of free advice. When you are starting out,
    try to use Parallax parts and sensors. I have learned that the experiments are well documented and tested and, depending on the project in question, you can save yourself·possibly hours·tedium over using "similar" parts. I have found this to be true on numerous occasions.

The progrmming shouldn't be too difficult with your background, but I have found the connecting to the "outside world" to be the greatest challenge. Again, just a suggestion, get used to dealing with known quantities and interfaces first. Driver circuits, current source and sink·limitations etc. before branching out into brave new worlds. Had I followed this advice, it would have saved me both money and time.

Good Luck and welcome to the wonderful world of the·Basic Stamp.

Post Edited (Philip Gamblin) : 7/19/2005 3:43:35 AM GMT
  • Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
    edited 2005-07-20 17:28
    hey dude, Im not telling you what to do, but all i did was get the Boe Bot starter kit with the basic stamp 2. IT takes you from knowing nothing and teaches you how everything works together. It comes with everything you need to start programing, Even a great begginers book! just make sure to pay attention to whether it is a usb or serial connection.
    if you wana instant message me my yahoo sn is JayGuy5000 and kb3eez for aol instant messanger.
    ~Jeremy