Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is it possible to program a stamp wirelessly and to.... — Parallax Forums

Is it possible to program a stamp wirelessly and to....

denodeno Posts: 242
edited 2005-07-18 12:53 in BASIC Stamp
receive DEBUG data wirelessly.

Several of my stamps are in the field, so to speak, and from time to time I find it is necessary to reprogram the eeprom.· This reprogramming is only because I have figured out a better way to (cleaner way) to write the code or I just want to change the timing of something.· Usually, these stamps are in a watertight housing which requires at least 30 minutes to take apart and then another 30 to· put together.· Plus having to take the lap top out in the elements.· Hard to see the screen in direct sunlight. That sort of thing.

I have made up a long programming cable, about 50 feet, which works, put wouldn't it be nice to just take your laptop from inside the car or wherever and change the code wirelessly, or monitor the stamps operation with well placed DEBUG statements. (Transmit that air temp back to the DEBUG terminal.

If possible, I could see where I would incorporate a wireless transceiver right into the design of the system.

It would be nice to tie this transceiver right into the programming port of the Basic Stamp.·Pins 1,2,3,and 4. ·I am sure this could be done with some of the RF modules I see in NUTS and VOLTS by someone, maybe?

Has anyone done this, and if so, would appreciate a link to the devices that you used to do this.·

Deno

Comments

• Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-07-17 20:07
    There was a recent thread about this very topic.. check out this thread..attachment.php?attachmentid=73773

P.s. Parallax Product Development Team - I think there would be tremendous interest in a Parallax supported product that does this... any ideas on when we can expect such a product?
    780 x 126 - 7K
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-07-17 20:11
    We understand the requirement and will let you know when we come up with something that meets our standards. We know that wireless programming seems like it should be an easy thing to do ... it isn't.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-07-17 20:15
    Check out the SI-Pro on my website.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
  • YanroyYanroy Posts: 96
    edited 2005-07-18 12:53
    I had a lot of luck using one of those sets of 434mhz radio modules from reynolds electronics.· I was able to control my BOE bot from my PC by just directly attaching the transmitter to the serial port on my computer (and to power, of course).· I would imagine that putting the receiver on the computer end would make for a very cheap and easy way of getting wireless debug messages.· Programming would be another issue entirely, since in addition to the data transmission there are several control lines that need to be switched.· It's an interesting problem... perhaps 2 transmitters, each on a different frequency, one using the holtek encoder/decoder set for the handshaking lines?