Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Killed 27977 LCD? — Parallax Forums

Killed 27977 LCD?

Ross-ORoss-O Posts: 5
edited 2005-07-27 05:36 in BASIC Stamp
Hi Guys,

I wired up my brand new Parallax 2x16 Serial LCD and applied power with the dip switches in test mode.
I briefly saw the advertised splash screen and then the top row of the display turned 100% on (little boxes) and the bottom line is off. Contrast adjust ment does nothing and the Ubicom chip & xtal on the back got really hot. Is it dead or am I missing something. I wired up Vdd, Vss, & one of the P lines just like the book said.

I get the same display regardless of the dip switch settings.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ross-O

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-07-16 04:35
    You may have killed it. Did you hook it up to a BOE with the voltage select to the servo headers set to Vin? I did this once and it did indeed kill the display. The serial LCD will not tolerate anything higher than 5.25 volts for more than a few seconds.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • pBASICpBASIC Posts: 25
    edited 2005-07-26 17:25
    I would hate to be you right now!!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-07-26 18:32
    No, it's probably okay to be Ross-o right now because we'll replace his LCD for free (even without a slap on the wrist).

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Ross-ORoss-O Posts: 5
    edited 2005-07-26 18:55
    Actually, it rocks to be Ross-O!

Chris Savage from Parallax Tech Support put a new LCD on my doorstep within 2 days of my post. Thanks Chris! After double checking everything with a DMM and crossing my fingers, I plugged the new LCD in the same way that I did the old LCD and it works flawlessly. I couldn't be more impressed with the support that I got from Parallax!

Thanks Parallax!
    Ross-O
    edited 2005-07-27 05:33
    Well arnt you happysmilewinkgrin.giftongue.gifjumpin.gifrolleyes.gifyeah.gifsmilewinkgrin.gif
    edited 2005-07-27 05:36
    I have a question about how dose that work so... did it come with a warrenty or something like that??