Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New to stamp, need to spend money fast! — Parallax Forums

New to stamp, need to spend money fast!

CheechCheech Posts: 30
edited 2005-07-14 16:33 in BASIC Stamp
I've been tinkering around with the idea of owning a stamp chip for a long time, but I always said "Go big, or don't go at all" and until recently I haven't had enough cash to go big.· So now that my birthday has passed and a paycheck has been cashed, I have the money ($420 to be exact) to blow on something, anything, I just need to do it fast before it burns threw my pocket.· I'm looking to get the "best" stamp II starter kit, with any of the necessary books I need to take me from know nothing and up.· I also want a nice LCD screen and some cool sensors to play with (remember the budget).· So what I think I want so far is: http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27238·for the kit and http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30058·for the LCD screen.· Also will I need one of these http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=805-00001,451-00303 ?· That leaves me with about 80 dollars minus the shipping to buy what ever else I need with.· Couple of questions, is the kit above the best basic stamp 2 kit I can get; and what is a board of education and do I need it?· Now that I think of it, I need a powersupply too, but the link on the kit page is broken http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/componentshop/cables_power.asp·Will this also power the LCD·screen and backlight?·

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-07-13 01:01
    Cheech,

Well, since you asked. I'll spend your money as if it were my own. This is what I'd buy:

BASIC Stamp Discovery Kit···OR ·Boe-Bot Full Kit - $169
    Memsic2125 Dual-Axis Accelerometer - $29
    Parallax Serial LCD - $29
    Ping))) Ultrasonic Sensor - $25
    Professional Development Board - $149

Total: $401.00

Now, we could optimize this and save a fifty bucks if we had to, but it would be at the expense of printed documentation.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • CheechCheech Posts: 30
    edited 2005-07-13 01:03
    I think you got some link problems, but why only stamp 1? It seems so.. Inferior.
  • Ben DamonBen Damon Posts: 42
    edited 2005-07-13 01:34
    There's no need to have more than one stamp. The Basic Stamp2 is plenty for playing around with, There's no need to have a huge memory or RAM for Non industry stuff. As for the only 1.... Unless u realy want to have 2 bots going at the exact same time there's no need.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-07-13 01:52
    Cheech:

My recommendation is the BS2 (in Discovery Kit and Boe-Bot) unless you have a demonstrated need for the BS2p24.

- Ken
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-07-13 01:53
    Guys,

·· Ken was referring to the BASIC Stamp II, not the BS1.· But now that you mention it Ben, with 2 carrier/development boards, why not throw in an extra BS2?· =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • StarManStarMan Posts: 306
    edited 2005-07-13 04:21
    Cheech

IMHO whatever Stamp you decide upon, make sure you get the Professional Development Board as Ken suggested.· I just got one and it is impressive in its constrution and the versatility it offers.· It is also just plain cool to have.· The possibilities are mind boggling.

Not only does it support the Basic Stamps but, when you're ready, it will support the SX (with the addition of an SX kit).

Chris I.
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-07-13 23:41
    Ken's original post really reminded me of those credit card ads:

BASIC Stamp Discovery Kit OR Boe-Bot Full Kit - $169

Starting a life-long journey with microcontrollers- priceless

I *love* my professional development board...it makes prototyping SO easy. Saves time, saves wires, etc....

Ryan
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-07-14 00:31
    LostboY said...(trimmed)
    BASIC Stamp Discovery Kit OR Boe-Bot Full Kit - $169
    Starting a life-long journey with microcontrollers- priceless
    Shouldn't that have read: "Starting a life-long journey with Parallax·Microcontrollers·- Priceless"?· =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • andy11667andy11667 Posts: 26
    edited 2005-07-14 16:33
    just get a boe bot from radioshack their boe bots are cheaper