Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
iPod serial controller, which chip? — Parallax Forums

iPod serial controller, which chip?

kdawgkdawg Posts: 2
edited 2005-07-12 14:08 in BASIC Stamp
I'm new to the BASIC stamp world and had a question. I'm a programmer used to more object oriented languages, like Java, and was interested in possibly trying to create a serial controller for my iPod. If successful, and I'm sure this could be accomplished, then possibly trying to incorporate some sort of LCD display. The question is which of Parallax's chips would most be up to the task? I was thinking the Javelin because I may be more familiar with the language but the BASIC stamp is obviously much more popular and I feel like I'd have more flexibility and resources at my disposal.

Anyone with a thought?

Post Edited (kdawg) : 7/11/2005 9:42:25 PM GMT

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-07-11 21:46
    I just took my own advice vis-a-vis Google and found this: http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e0026607/ipod_remote/ipod_ap_new.html

It turns out there's a lot of information available on the iPod serial connection.· The baud rate is 19.2k and the RX and TX levels are at 3.3 volts, so a bit of interfacing would be required.· Since I just received a shiny new iPod as a gift I too am interested in interfacing.· For my projects, I will look into using the BASIC Stamp 2 and the SXmicro.· With the SX, I could run directly a 3.3 volts and that would be useful in connecting without a special interface.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax

Post Edited (Jon Williams (Parallax)) : 7/12/2005 12:55:32 PM GMT
  • kdawgkdawg Posts: 2
    edited 2005-07-12 14:08
    If your intererested, a gentleman on this forum has dock connectors available for $2 each.
    http://www.ipodlinux.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1115&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I also have the pinouts if you'd like them. Might make things easier.