Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pro Dev Board — Parallax Forums

Pro Dev Board

tomis4cdtomis4cd Posts: 6
edited 2005-07-11 03:55 in BASIC Stamp
Just started playing with my pro development board and it appears that I have to have at least one debug statement in my program for any program I try to run. Without a debug statement it just lays there and does nothing even if I open a debug window manually. Put one debug statement in that executes once and away goes the program running. Is this true of am I missing something. I am just beginning to play with stamps. I am using the Basic Stamp Editor 2.2 , which I downloaded.

I also purchased the Basic Stamp Logic Analyzer and it is connected . I mention that in case it effects things.

Thanks
Tom
·

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-07-10 22:26
    We can't help much without a copy of your code.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
  • tomis4cdtomis4cd Posts: 6
    edited 2005-07-10 23:10
    ok to clarify, code is from Stamp logic analyzer test but it does not matter what code I try the need for a debug statement would be the same as shown in examples below.
    Thanks Tom

**This toggles the pins high and low

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}
    pinNum VAR Nib
    Reset:
    Main:
    ·DO
    · FOR pinNum = 0 TO 15
    ·· HIGH pinNum
    ·· DEBUG "HI there"
    ·· PAUSE 200
    ·· LOW pinNum
    · NEXT
    ·LOOP
    END

**This does nothing note commented out debut

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}
    pinNum VAR Nib
    Reset:
    Main:
    ·DO
    · FOR pinNum = 0 TO 15
    ·· HIGH pinNum
    '·· DEBUG "HI there"
    ·· PAUSE 200
    ·· LOW pinNum
    · NEXT
    ·LOOP
    END

**This also toggles the pins high and low note debug is not in loop anymore

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}
    pinNum VAR Nib
    Reset:
    Main:
    ·debug
    ·DO
    · FOR pinNum = 0 TO 15
    ·· HIGH pinNum
    ·· PAUSE 200
    ·· LOW pinNum
    · NEXT
    ·LOOP
    END

·
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-07-10 23:33
    Try this:

DIRS = %1111111111111111
    Main:

for pinnum = 0 to 15
    toggle pinnum
    pause 200
    toggle pinnum
    next
    goto main

Are you using the blue LEDs to indicate state?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-07-11 00:49
    Tom,

·· This problem is not related to your code, your PDB or your Logic Analyzer.· My guess is it's related to your computer's serial (COM) port.· You can confirm this by doing the following...The next time you download a program (Without a DEBUG statement) and the PDB appears to be doing nothing, unplug the serial cable from it.· If it works then, you have one of the few computers which take over the COM port when not in use and constantly reset the Stamp Module.· That would be why opening a DEBUG window seems to help, since it keeps the port open.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • tomis4cdtomis4cd Posts: 6
    edited 2005-07-11 03:05
    Chris
    That was it. Dissconnecting the serial port after doing a download and run and the led took off blinking.

Another question regarding edit run edit again cycles assuming the serial port issue is taken care of.
    There seems to be two ways to stop the program you have running. One is to close the debug window.
    Two is turning off the power switch on the PDB. Assuming you do not have an end or stop in the program.
    I was looking for a stop command in the editor but do not see one.
    Clicking RUN does stop it and download and run a new edited version but I was looking for a way to stop
    it while I was editing a new version or a different program other than the power switch.

Thanks
    Tom
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-07-11 03:55
    Tom,

·· When you download a program into the BASIC Stamp, it will execute it every time you aaply power or press the reset button (While power is on).· If you have no END statement in your program, the Stamp Module still acts as if you had one when it runs out of instructions to run.· The default behavior (Like END) is that the Stamp will go into low power mode.· During this time it will wake up every few seconds briefly, at which time the I/O lines will momentarily change states.· If you have LEDs connected, you may notice this and think the program is still running.· If you want to stop this from happening, use a STOP command at the end of your program.

Note: If your program runs in a contiuous loop, there is no way to·stop it short of downloading a new program or turning the power off.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com