Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Minimum programming interface — Parallax Forums

Minimum programming interface

NeohavenNeohaven Posts: 13
edited 2005-07-08 17:50 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to know what a minimalistic (strict minimum) programming interface would be like, because i am making a robot from a BS2 microcontroller and i would like not to have to open up the metal case, and change the BS everytime, so it would simply have (the robot) a serial port on the back, but i do not know the rs-232 standards, so if any of you has that info... like.... are there any capacitors needed for the serial in/out noise? or are they built-in the BS?

thanks!

Neohaven

Comments

• FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
    edited 2005-07-08 02:33
    Hi!
    I think a 9-pin RS232 port on your robot is the best option for not having to open it every time. As for the caps, they are not onboard, there is a diagram included in this PDF (it's in every Stamp schematic, but here's a link: http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/schem/bs2p40SchemRevB.pdf )
    I hope that's correct and OK
    flyingfishfinger
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-07-08 02:57
    The attached schematic is for our standard programming interface; it will allow you to reprogram the BASIC Stamp and allow it to communicate with the outside world (terminals, etc.) if your application dictates.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    772 x 583 - 8K
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-07-08 06:18
    I would think it a simple matter to "dangle " a DB9 on a ribbon cable to some access point.
  • nick bernardnick bernard Posts: 329
    edited 2005-07-08 13:10
    also the db9 connection is not a necessity. you can simply use a screw terminal for the connection to save space. the stamp plc unit uses a 4 pole screw terminal to connect to the puter.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Byte walks into a bar and orders a pint. Bartender asks him "What's wrong?"
    Byte says "Parity error." Bartender nods and says "Yeah, I thought you looked a bit off."
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-07-08 13:19
    If you haven't finalized your design/build yet, consider buying the OEM Stamp version... It has all of the communications stuff built in.
    edited 2005-07-08 13:47
    Except that when you do that you're forced to hack a cable to connect to your PC.· If you're doing your own thing anyway, use a DB9-F and make your life easy (no hacking of cables to connect to your PC).
    nick bernard said...
    also the db9 connection is not a necessity. you can simply use a screw terminal for the connection to save space. the stamp plc unit uses a 4 pole screw terminal to connect to the puter.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • nick bernardnick bernard Posts: 329
    edited 2005-07-08 15:22
    tru dat jon, but its a plausible option nonetheless; an option exploited by one of your products where i had to hack a cable to program.
    i'm not complaining; i just think that in certain applications it can be a very effective solution to field programming devices such as the din mounting stamp plc.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink. - Jack Handy
  • NeohavenNeohaven Posts: 13
    edited 2005-07-08 15:58
    Mr. Williams, in your schematic, are the capacitor values in puffs or in mikes?

thanks a lot!
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-07-08 16:06
    0.1 uFarad is in 'micro', or 'mikes'.
    edited 2005-07-08 16:12
    Allan is right; general convention is when the units are not specified, capacitor values are in microfarads.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • NeohavenNeohaven Posts: 13
    edited 2005-07-08 17:47
    now.... the editor says echo : yes and loopback : yes, but still, the BS2 ain't recognized... sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-07-08 17:50
    Did we mention the BS2 must also be powered? And that the ground for the battery (or whatever) must be connected to Vss aka Pin 4 of the BS2, aka Pin 5 of the DB-9?

The plus side of a 6-volt battery (or 4 1.5 volt batteries) should be connected to Vin.

But it's wonderful that you have loopback (pin 6 to pin 7) and echo (Tx is being echo'ed back to RX by the BS2 circuitry). I think that validates your cable, anyway.