Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Compiler — Parallax Forums

Basic Compiler

Basic JimBasic Jim Posts: 106
edited 2005-07-06 20:19 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all,

I have been self teaching myself the BS2 for the last three months and I am getting ready to dive into some real projects. Although I love the BS2 for developing a project it would be too expensive to include it in every widget I build. From what I understand, and please let me know If I'm wrong. I could buy a basic compiler like the one being sold on ebay right now·at·http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7508634509&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
And I could then purchase a bunch of·SX chips for a couple bucks each and program them to do the job my pricey BS2 was doing. I don't know assembly language and I would preffer not to spend a lot of time to learn it. (unless parrallax sells a learning assembly for dummies kit.)

1. Now, If I'm right where the program is already compiled and the SX chip runs at 20 mhz the program should execute faster?

2. Would the SX chip require external hardware to work unlike the BS2 that has everything self contained? reading the description it sounds like it does.

Whats the best way for a newbie to break into the SX world?

Thanks,
Jim W.

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-07-06 01:32
    Jim -

I would highly recommend buying it directly from the source, and make sure you register immediately it as well:
    http://www.melabs.com/

I DIDN'T heed that advice, and thought I could save myself a few bucks by purchasing what was an "opened box" product. Once I went to purchase the next update, I found out how WRONG I WAS! There some rather strict proof of ownership restrictions, and rightfully so, since it is a propriety product. I just wish I'd known that at the outset and hadn't tried to cut corners. Mine was a legitimate copy, but it was unfortunately a return which was then re-packaged apparently.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • KenMKenM Posts: 657
    edited 2005-07-06 01:37
    How about going the SXB route with an initial investment of $99 for the SXKey.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ken
  • Basic JimBasic Jim Posts: 106
    edited 2005-07-06 01:42
    Can I use a basic compiler with the SX Key kit? I have a little problem with assembly. ( I don't know it.)
    edited 2005-07-06 02:05
    Bruce,
    Having gone to the web site It is only $10.00 more to buy from the company. So, If I go that way I'll get it directly from them.

I take it you can progran the SX line of chips using this compiler?
    edited 2005-07-06 02:30
    I think I found my answer, In surfing the parallax web site it looks like I could download an SX/B compiler for free that will program the SX28AC/DP. I'll put the money I was gonna use to buy the Pic compiler with and buy the SX tech tool plus. Thanks to all for your help again,

Jim W.
    edited 2005-07-06 02:32
    Oh, If anyone else is interested in the free compiler this should be the link.
    http://www.parallax.com/sx/sxb.asp
  • KenMKenM Posts: 657
    edited 2005-07-06 03:15
    In my opinion you cannot go wrong with the SXB. The support you will receive from the SX forum is very good, as is all the forums sponsored by the team at Parallax.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ken
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-07-06 04:32
    The SXToolkit is a good choice IMHO - don't forget the 7.5 VDC power supply. In addition to the SXToolkit, I'd pickup a SX48 or a SX52 Prototype board (which is programmed with the SXKey bundled in the SXToolkit). The SX48 and SX52 Prototype boards are fully assembled and cost just $9.95 here www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=45304

Don't forget to buy a buy a resonator/oscillator for the SX48/SX52 Prototype boards (unless you want to run them on the internal 4 MHz clock).
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-07-06 05:23
    Basic Jim,

Forrest already pointed out our SX48/52 Proto Boards. These boards are very well designed with lots of customer input and they're very low cost at $10.00 each. I don't think you could find a surface-mounted microcontroller on a development board elsewhere for this cost. Maybe this is because we have a silly marketing policy on this product (it is a treat for our customers!).

If you feel that 48/52 pins is too many, then you can use the SX Tech Tool Kit's SX28AC/DP SX Tech Board. This is like the Board of Education you've already used with the BASIC Stamp.

The SX/B compiler supports all SX chips.

I built my first SX/B project on the SX Tech Board. It's a simple input/output project with a piezo sensor and a blue seven-segment LED. Each "flick" of the film would increment the seven-segment LED once. I didn't use the SX's interrupts or run at 50 MIPS, but that's beside the point. I was just seeing how a Stamp user could do a simple project with SX/B. And it was a success. I'd post my code, but it's buried somewhere in another forum·(our forum search engine stinks).

From my standpoint·the SX is·a general purpose controller made easy to use with great tools from Parallax. Parallax support is one reason to use the SX. The SX/B compiler·has most all the·commonly used Stamp commands, except where SX architecture dictates a different approach or involves features not present in a BASIC Stamp.

Once you get to the SX forum you'll find lots of really skilled SX programmers for assistance, along with a handful of SX/B gurus. Also, read past postings from BASIC Stamp programmers who are in the same position as you.

And if it doesn't work out then simply return the SX Tech Tool Kit to Parallax.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    500 x 375 - 45K
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-07-06 12:23
    If you're going to be programming SX chips, then the Parallax SK-Key kit is the cheapest and most reliable way to go about it.

If you purchased PICBasic, you'd STILL need some programming board, and some programming interface, to actually put your program into a PIC chip. And THEN you'd still need the support circuits (resonator, capacitors, a pull-up resistor for reset, a MAX-232 chip for communication). Other's have done this, and it's not too hard nor too expensive.

However, if you can do all of the above with an SX, with a $100 programmer and board, with the SX/B language, AND have $10 target boards -- well, go for the SX, I say.
    edited 2005-07-06 17:50
    Well I made the jump. I just bought the SX Tech Tool kit plus, an SX52 Proto board, and I saw a sale on the SX/28AC/DP SX/B for a QTY of 13 for only 44.20. Long as I was at the site I also picked up 3 contiuous rot. Servo motors for a grand total of $174.00!

If I had just bought the Picbasic compiler alone it would have cost me $249.00 without any hardware at all. Thanks to all of you for your inputs. I'm confident I made the best decision. Now I won't be able to sleep until the UPS truck comes around.

Best Regards,
    Jim W.
    edited 2005-07-06 20:07
    Just out of curiosity, can anyone tell me what the difference is between the SX/52 and the SX/48 boards? I can't see it or I'm missing it.
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=45300
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=45304
    Thanks,
    Jim W.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-07-06 20:19
    Basic Jim:

See this thread about halfway down:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=541373

Also,·consider "hanging out" in the SX forum. It's an eclectic, die-hard group as well as a bunch of newbies.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.