Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Best Basic Stamp for my application - and where to start — Parallax Forums

Best Basic Stamp for my application - and where to start

benchtoplabsbenchtoplabs Posts: 3
edited 2005-07-06 21:19 in BASIC Stamp
I have a project I started earlier this year... I am building the control system for a custom-designed ROV
Submersible· (Remote controlled submarine)· I have played around with different ideas, but keep coming
back to using a PIC of some sort.· I am looking for an easy way to read commands on the surface from
a Playstation Controller, and then transmit the status of about 8-10 variables to the remote system which
will then activate a set of relays which power my onboard systems.· I may have a certain amount of return
data to the surface, but at this point not very much.· I am looking for a quick and easy way to get into the
BASIC stamp and prototype this up.· Anyone have any recommendations on which BASIC variant to use,
and/or some good referrences for the serial interface between the 2 stamps?· I saw that radio shack is
carrying the Basic Stamp 2 and a small development board...· Good idea for me to get started with?

Thanks for any help.
I think at this point I already have all the data I need on the playstation controller..

--Joe

Comments

• Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-07-05 23:42
    The BS2 is a good place to start. My first was a BS2 Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) Module. The BS2 OEM Kit is a good cheap starting point.
    Try this link http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27291
    There is an added advantage to this kit. After building it, you can use it as a "programming bed" for other OEM chips which can save $ in the long run. Of course I am notoriously cheap. I just looked at what Radio Shack is carrying. The What's a Microcontroller Kit is an excellent place to start .http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=276-625

A couple of things you need to of which yuo need to be aware. First this kit uses a SERIAL interface. Not a big deal,but if you don't have a usb to serial adapter ,you need to get one. Secondly while you do get a fully functional BS2, it is surfacemount part built into the board( aka Homework Board), not a socketed 28 pin dip. Still a great starting point.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-07-06 00:34
    Didn't we recommend two "Super Prototype" boards earlier? Perhaps go to Radio Shack and purchase two of their BOE kits -- NOT the "Homework Board" kit, though.

On the other hand, if you're submersing this thing, the Homework board may be what you need for the underwater side. At least the BS2 can't 'shake' loose.
  • benchtoplabsbenchtoplabs Posts: 3
    edited 2005-07-06 02:34
    Hey allanlane5...
    We have already discussed this on another forum...
    Would you be willing to discuss this via email?
    If you don't mind, please email me at: joe@benchtoplabs.com
    ---
    To everyone else, my goal is to get past the hardware development stage quickly
    and focus on software.· After 2 weeks or so I am probably 75% complete with the
    hardware design, and 50% complete with a version·1 of the software..
    But, I am encountering problems that make me wonder whether the BASIC stamp
    will make a better solution..

--Joe
  • Kevin B SlaterKevin B Slater Posts: 49
    edited 2005-07-06 03:19
    Joe,

· A couple of articles that might be of interest to you.

······Article about communicating between two·stamps.
    ····· "A Tale of Two Stamps" http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol3/col/nv81.pdf

····· Article about connecting a PlayStation controller to a stamp.
    ······ "PlayStation Control Redux" http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol4/col/nv101.pdf

Kevin
  • benchtoplabsbenchtoplabs Posts: 3
    edited 2005-07-06 21:19
    I ran into that article nv81 yesterday and was reading it when you posted that...
    I wish I had read that before I became like that college student... poof goes the PIC!
    It is always a good idea to look hard to see where the trace on a breadboard goes before
    you assume its free.....
    Thanks for your help, I think·I will pick up a BASIC to actually toy with and see where it goes.
    --Joe