Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Com1 is in use — Parallax Forums

Com1 is in use

Patrick DPatrick D Posts: 62
edited 2005-10-19 16:58 in BASIC Stamp
I have· had a BS2 app working for weeks - pretty simple, it sends temp readings to Stamp Plot.· That's it.· When I got home last night, my PC was off - looks like the power went out.· Anyway, tried to start the stamp up this morning and Stamp Plot (and B editor) can't connect to com1.· I checked the port in windows (XP pro) device manager - it says it's OK.
Stamp Plot says the selected port is not available.· The Stamp Editor (identification) says "can't open port; in use"
I have checked all my connections, cycled power, etc.
Any ideas?

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-07-05 13:34
    Do you have a PDA or similar device that is using that port for communications? Check your Task Manager to see what's running.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Patrick DPatrick D Posts: 62
    edited 2005-07-06 03:45
    sorry - been out all day. That was it Jon - thanks. My Palm's HotSync Manager was jumping on Com1 - never sync at home (where my problem was) but did over the holiday weekend and that caused the problem, as it usually isn't running on my PC at home.
  • GoforthGoforth Posts: 3
    edited 2005-10-18 05:02
    Can anyone offer any insight on how to determine what may be using a particular comm port? I have the same problem and am not using any PDA's or anything... I can't find anything at all that would be using my com ports. Both of them show in use (1 and 2). ???
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-10-18 05:15
    Goforth -

Did you indeed turn HotSynch OFF? If not, do so.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2005-10-18 22:51
    I don't have Hotsync.· In fact, it is a clean install of XP Pro on a new IBM ThinkCentre.· I suspect that it is something "IBM'ish" because if I have the cable plugged into the Boe during the boot, it resets the robot during the boot process.· However, I have looked at the BIOS and messed with all sorts of settings, modified IRQ, Profiles...... even swore at it a few times.... Nothing.· Something has it locked and won't let go.· I have Googled for hours for some sort of utility that would show what application is using the com port with no luck... My Boe is just sitting here staring at me waiting for some TLC.....·

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif
    edited 2005-10-19 00:03
    Well.... Just so that it is archived forever and ever on the Parallax forums... Here is the answer....

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

This URL will allow you download a program called Process Explorer.· It is free....

Do a search for \device\serial

Tell the found process to let go.... Bingo... I am talking with Boe again...

roll.gif·
  • walkboneswalkbones Posts: 30
    edited 2005-10-19 16:58
    Thanks for posting the proper answer, Goforth. I've been uninstalling the com port and rebooting with the Stamp connected. Uninstalling the com port each time I need it works but feels creepy. ProcessExplorer looks like a better solution.