Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EMIC Text-To-Speech user abbreviations — Parallax Forums

EMIC Text-To-Speech user abbreviations

southernbobsouthernbob Posts: 34
edited 2005-07-03 17:07 in BASIC Stamp
When using the EMIC text-to-speech module and setting abbreviations in the user
space of the flash memory, how can you tell how much space has been used by
adding·new abbreviations and how much space is left? Do you have to keep track of the number of bytes you actually sent and then subtract that total number from 2K (2048 decimal ?)?

Example: if I write·· SEROUT· pin,baud,[noparse][[/noparse]AddAbbr,"/A,Press Key",EOM]
Is the total number of bytes used in the memory 11 bytes or is there some
'overhead' bytes written as well? Then for the used space add together all the
lengths of the abbreviations added and subtract from 2048 to find the remaining unused space. This assumes that no dublicate entries are made and no delections.

In the above example /A = 2 bytes and Press Key = 9 for a total of 11 bytes.
Is the total space used 11 bytes or are 'separator' character added so that the
actual length of the abbreviation is greater than 11 bytes of memeory.
Thanks, Bob

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-07-03 17:07
    That's one of the problems with the Windbond core of that chip -- it doesn't report back the amount of space used. So... be very careful because if you define the same abbreviation twice, it uses more memory (it's not smart enough to know it's already there -- the first one is still there but unusable and unrecoverable).

If you have a programming cradle for the QV306 you can put the Emic board into it and, using text mode, get it to dump out the abbreviations. It's been a while since I've done this, so I don't remember if it gives an indication of memoryleft. For these reasons I've tended not to add abbreviations in my Emic projects.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax