Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
h bridge motor controls — Parallax Forums

h bridge motor controls

jcurriejcurrie Posts: 1
edited 2006-02-01 19:23 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I plan to have my class go beyond boe bots this next year and design a robot with (2) 12 volt, 1-amp @ stall, gear head motors.

Any suggestions for a·suitable h-bridge·circuit to connect to a Basic Stamp 2 ?

We also want to control some other circuits via a 12 volt relay.· Does anyone have a working mosfet circuit we could employ?
· I'm doing this with discrete components so the students can build the electronics.

Thank you.
jcurrie

Comments

• Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2005-06-30 22:12
    Hi J,
    We used a BASIC Stamp and FETs for partial control of DawgZooka - A T-shirt shooting Bot on a Bomb-Disposal ROV Chassis. While IFI controllers were used for the main drive, descreet components were used for a high current H-Bridge, and indivual FETs for light controls and solenoid firing.

Here's some of the main parts (DigiKey part #'s):
    LT1161CN-ND - MOSFET Driver
    IRL2203N-ND MOSFETs for use with driver (note, you need a diode from gate to ground on lower H-bridge to limit voltage)
    RFP30N06LE-ND - MOSFET for on/off control of devices.

We also had a printed circuit board designed with the BASIC Stamp, the divers, and Input/Output for RC radio and servos so the Stamp can take orders from the RC Conroller.

I don't have the schematic on in electronic format right now, but I can scan it next week and send it if it would help.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel

Electronic Systems Technologies
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale
    Personal Links - ·Lot of BASIC Stamp info
    and
    SelmaWare Solutions
    StampPlot Pro Version 3 Release 4
    Graphical Data Acquisition for your Micro and Imagination!
    Now allows additional controls to be added, or developed.
    ·
  • PalCPalC Posts: 5
    edited 2005-08-12 21:42
    This link goes to a site on H-bridges that I found very helpful

http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/robotics/tutorial/h-bridge/index.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    A jug of wine
    A loaf of bread
    And thou
  • mike_smike_s Posts: 42
    edited 2006-01-30 20:27
    Martin

I'm·just curious without looking at the datasheet is an irll3303 a similar but beefier version of the irll2203.

I have come across it in a fisher and paykel washer motor controller and always blows it's guts out when the pump is faulty or when the user opens the lid at full spin speed.

Reasons established so far the pump is used for 3 purposes in this machine.

1.pump water out

2. part of low voltage supply for the display controller (user interface with buttons and leds)

3. Power from magnetic braking is dumped through it. so if the impellor is jammed lookout.

Sorry I know this is off topic I have yet to study your documentation on Dawgzooka but it is on my computer for when I get the chance. Interesting bot.
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-02-01 19:23
    Hi Mike,
    It looks like the irl2203 is a lot beefier - 116A compared to around 30A for the 3303. Go figure [noparse]:)[/noparse]

So, I wouldn't use it as a replacement!

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale -Electronic Systems Technologies
    and
    SelmaWare Solutions - StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control

Personal Links with plenty of BASIC Stamp info