Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cmucam2 — Parallax Forums

Cmucam2

quick questionquick question Posts: 50
edited 2005-10-24 19:15 in Robotics
Hello - new here.
Has anyone successfully used a CMUCAM2 with a BS2?·
Is the BS2 powerfull enough to analyze the matrix captured video out data?
The CMUCAM2 seems to be configured for a PC.

Chris

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-06-28 17:37
    You may want to send a e-mail to Seattle Robotics and see if they have any information?· Here is a link for their e-mail support:· info@seattlerobotics.com

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    [noparse][[/noparse]url]Http://www.parallax.com[noparse][[/noparse]/url]

·
  • quick questionquick question Posts: 50
    edited 2005-06-28 20:14
    Hi Chris

>>>Has anyone successfully used a CMUCAM2 with a BS2?

Yes. The CMUcam1 and CMUcam2 hardware interface is identical.

>>>Is the BS2 powerful enough to analyze the matrix captured video out data?

No. But you can do most of the processing directly on the CMUcam2 by knowing what commands to call and in what sequence.

>>>I would like to do some simple Matrix analysis (watch movement of a reflected laser line to do simple triangle trig to calculate the width/distance of an object)

You can use the CMUcam as a laser rangefinder if you use a visible spectrum laser (usually red). You don’t need to do any math. Knowing the lens field of view is usually enough ie – where the laser falls in the image equates to the range.
  • Mr. RobotoMr. Roboto Posts: 2
    edited 2005-10-23 23:52
    Is the bs2px fast enough
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-10-24 14:43
    It's not speed, it's the number of variables you have to work with. All BS2 modules, of whatever flavor, only have 26 words (52 bytes) of RAM, which is not expandable. You can't do much matrix math with 52 bytes of RAM.

Update: D'oh!· I'm always getting that wrong.· Thanks.

Post Edited (allanlane5) : 10/24/2005 8:29:09 PM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-24 15:07
    Allan,

·· Actually it's 26 bytes (13 Words).· =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2005-10-24 15:10
    If I recall correctly, the CMUCAM itself runs on an SX/28. Sounds like that might be a path to pursue. Fair Warning: image analysis in real time is not for the faint of heart...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • quick questionquick question Posts: 50
    edited 2005-10-24 19:15
    I still haven't gotten it together, but I was thinking of using a FRAM to store a map of the landscape.

I am planning on using the CMUCAM2 histogram to do an analysis of "jumps" in a projected laser Horz. line in the camera's field of view.

The height of a jump in the Bin will give the distance of the object - while the number of hits in the bin gives you the "width."

The centroid feature (of only the jumped portion) will give the location of the detected object- and if it is in the path of the BOEBOT. From this we can steer - maybe some use for the "edge" analysis- but I'm not there yet.

Laser Line modules on EBAY are available for less than about $12.

(any thoughts?)

Chris