Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID - More than an ID reader? — Parallax Forums

RFID - More than an ID reader?

TinkerTinker Posts: 12
edited 2005-06-26 23:54 in BASIC Stamp
I just finished reading the articles re: the new RFID reader. It strikes me that, since the data decoding is all done in software (i.e. under user control), that the reader can decode whatever ASCII string is sent - be it serial data, ID data, or whatever. In particular, if the passive transmitter were a datalogger, let us say, the reader could interogate the logger complete with ID and data. Has anybody heard of a passive RF logger available in the marketplace?.......Pete

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-06-26 19:30
    Hello,

·· I'm not sure if that would work or not on our RFID reader.· Or many others for that matter.· The thing is, the device is usually designed to read in one valid tag at a time.· To get a continuous stream of data from a device would probably involve a tedious process of both devices maintaining a somewhat crude handshaking as each byte is requested by the reading signalling the data logger via it's RF transmit sequence, and the logger sending one block of data back via RF, then waiting for the next transmission from the reader.· I hope that was a clear explanation.· This isn't to say it can't be done.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-06-26 19:31
    I have posted twp programs for the RFID - one for a BS2E and one for a BS2PE.· Both use an AT45DB041 EEPROM to store data.· The software can read the RFID tag and store it in EEPROM, along with a device definition of the user's design.· The program will also search for tags previously read and stored, can scan a tag without storing it, and finally, display a listing of all tags read and stored.· If you are interested in those programs look for them in the Projects forum - I think that is where I posted it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-06-26 19:34
    Small correction to the above post - the program for the BS2pe uses slots 8-15 for EEPROM storage.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
  • TinkerTinker Posts: 12
    edited 2005-06-26 23:54
    Thank you, both Sid and Chris - If I look at Sid's code, that will probably answer my next question. What I didn't think about is the size of the serial buffer that is built into the ID reader. It could be only 20 bytes long - just long enough to hold the start, finish characters, and the 16-byte ID code. If so, then I see Chris' concern. But I'll take a look at your code, Sid. That should make things a little clearer.............Pete

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔