Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IR Communication With PDA — Parallax Forums

IR Communication With PDA

ActionWorxActionWorx Posts: 6
edited 2005-06-25 21:27 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
· I have just recently purchased the What is a microcontroller book with stamp.

·I have one project in mind for what I want to do and is the sole reason to purchase the book. Here goes:
·
·I have a Palm One pda and a Pocket PC(jornada 540) I want to be able to write a program onto the basic stamp and use the pda as if it were an lcd or the debug window. So that I can create programs or menus to be viewed on the pda. either one would work. Now if I can do this through serial it would be great, but I have high goals and would like to make the connection viz infrared.
Can someone please tell me how I can do this?

Post Edited By Moderator (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 6/24/2005 5:31:52 PM GMT

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-06-24 16:59
    Hardware-wise....I think it would work.
    Search the Parallax website...they have a 'free to download' book on IR and such. Should give you a good idea on how to do some things.
    Maybe start with doing it serially....although it might not work serially if you are using USB (not sure how well a USB>rs232 converter would work).

Is it doable....yes.

You would need to have a IR transmitter on the stamp side.
    If you want the PDA to talk back to the stamp...you'll then need an IR receiver.
    ( http://www.hvwtech.com/pages/products_view.asp?ProductID=166 )
    IF you need to send something then immediatly listen....keep in mind that it takes time to load functions on the stamp. So when you do a SEROUT (send data to the PDA) and then switch immediately to a SERIN (to listen and see if an error message was sent back from the PDA) it takes time to load the SERIN function. So you may end up decreasing the baud rate....

Someone else can jump in and correct me!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-06-24 17:26
    I belive Flexipanel at www.flexipanel.com has a device called "LinkMatik" Stamp Edition that may work for this project.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    [noparse][[/noparse]url]Http://www.parallax.com[noparse][[/noparse]/url]

·
  • cyberbiotacyberbiota Posts: 79
    edited 2005-06-24 19:05
    Most PDA's have a built-in IRDA port, so a separate receiver should not be required. I have written a small app to allow you to use a PDA as a debugging port for the Stamp. It is posted somewhere in the forums as a download (I think it is called "New DeBug," or something like that. It was a while ago...). I use it often to debug Stamps (and other mcu's) in the field. It requires a physical connection to the Stamp, but could probably be re-written to accept input from the IRDA port. Your project is definitely doable, one way or another...

peter

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Peter C. Charles

Director, Research and Technology
    CyberBiota, Incorporated
    Peter.charles@cyberbiota.com
    http://www.cyberbiota.com
  • ActionWorxActionWorx Posts: 6
    edited 2005-06-24 19:50
    Thanx everyone. I have serial on pc and on my stamp. If that helps me. If i need to I can star out with at least serial connect then once I get the hang of it I can write something that might work. Again thank you.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-06-24 20:16
    ActionWorx -

This will give you IrDA right from the Stamp through an external UART, which will probably do exactly what you want. Here is the link: http://www.emesystems.com/BS2IrDA.htm . Thanks go to Dr. Tracy Allen - Stamp Guru extrodinaire!

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • ActionWorxActionWorx Posts: 6
    edited 2005-06-25 21:27
    thank you bruce