Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Power Consumption on BoeBot — Parallax Forums

Power Consumption on BoeBot

GooberTekGooberTek Posts: 14
edited 2005-06-29 18:56 in Robotics
I have connected my BoeBot to my PC using the Bluetooth connection and am able to drive it via a web page using ASP.NET.· In addition I have attached a·camera to the robot·which transmits a signal to my web server.· So what I have is a mobile webcam.· I want to be able to drive it at will from any location by going to a URL.· That part I have figured out.· However the robot would need to be on all the time.· The question I have is I'd like to add a secondary power source which will do nothing but wait for a signal and when it gets it it turns on the BoeBot thus conserving the main power sources. Any ideas?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-06-24 15:07
    Hello,

·· After assessing your needs, I think I would offer the following suggestion, which has come up several times in the past.· Perhaps the BOE-Bot should be set up with some kind of docking station which it can seek out when batteries are low.· Then it could re-charge until it's activated by the web.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • GooberTekGooberTek Posts: 14
    edited 2005-06-24 15:53
    Thats a way cool idea.· Any idea on how to do it?· Has anyone done it?· I would assume I would need a Basic routine that somehow· can locate the point of origin and a docking station of some type.

ROB
  • edited 2005-06-24 16:07
    Rob,

Sounds like you've got a really cool project going. All the docking rechargers I've come across use IR beacons to locate the unit. You might want to consider using a coded pulsed IR at the station that the BOE BOT locates. I haven't done this myself (yet), but am going to do so with my current project. I have seen everything from the use of conductive wheels to modified kitchen utensils to provide the contact points for recharging. The chargers I have seen range from simple wall adaptors to specially (homebrewed) constructed power sources. I'll keep you informed if I come across any more construction type details. It seems that alot of the web sites I've seen show pictures, and little else in the form of plans/schematics. Its unfortunate.

Respectfully,
    Michael G. Jessat
  • edited 2005-06-24 16:31
    Rob,

After pondering this for a few minutes I had more input.

1.) Your BOE BOT would have the battery monitoring done as part of its main routines.
    2.) The battery can be monitored using either an LM339 window comparator or ADC, which trips at a certain threshold.
    3.) BOE BOT gosub's to a search for coded IR pulse (find recharger).
    4.) Using the coded pulsed IR the BOE BOT aligns itself with the station, maybe a ramp with side rails to help guide it.
    5.) Power could be provided to the BOE BOT by using something as simple as metal tabs, with a suitable contact point on the 'bot.
    6.) Make sure your contact points on the 'bot are insulated from the chassis, don't want smoke, only power.
    7.) During the recharge routine, the Stamp periodically checks the battery voltage. When the desired level has been reached, the
    'bot ends the recharge cycle.
    8.) BOE BOT recharged it pulls away from the recharger, and returns to main program functions.

i-Cybie my robot dog, takes a similar approach to the above idea's. I'm not certain if any form of circuit isolation is performed during his recharge cycles. (ie - CPU and other non-essential circuits are detached from power supply). I haven't got the heart to open him up, as Tiger stopped manufactoring i-Cybie's awhile ago. If that is the case them it must be done via an 'external' circuit that monitors the recharge cycle, then stops. Then it would 'wake-up' the 'bot when the charge was completed.

Hope that was helpful.

Regards,
    Michael G. Jessat

Post Edited (Dobermann (Black Dog Systems, LLC)) : 6/24/2005 4:50:48 PM GMT
  • edited 2005-06-24 22:45
    Rob,

I was looking through some old back issues of Servo magazine. The November 2003 issue has an article, 'Power Challenges In "Always On" Robotics'. It describes how Mondo-Tronics and the author began exploring the options available for building a self-charging robot. The design concept they came up with was the OctoBot. If you want an idea of their concept visit www.robotstore.com in the search box type 'octobot', it will take you to the correct page. The article, while it has great content, fails to describe any of the circuitry in any detail. Guess thats why they are in business.

Respectfully,
    Michael G. Jessat

P.S. - Read the OctoBot assembly instructions (OctoBot_Instructions_124.pdf) they provide the answers!!! Diagrams/Schematics are INCLUDED!!! You'll find it at the above mentioned web site.

Post Edited (Dobermann (Black Dog Systems, LLC)) : 6/25/2005 12:30:16 AM GMT
  • Rusty78Rusty78 Posts: 33
    edited 2005-06-29 16:39
    Hello,

······ Is there any info on how to go about connecting the LM339 Window comparator to the Basic Stamp in order to determine low battery output?

Cheers

R.K.

·
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-06-29 17:43
    You can always use the low battery circuit that is in chapter 3 of the "Robotics" text.· Here is a link for the download of the text:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28154

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • Rusty78Rusty78 Posts: 33
    edited 2005-06-29 18:56
    Thanks Dave,

I've already gone through the entire Robotics with the BoeBot text and was looking for something a bit more advanced in terms of reading low battery voltage. I've also read the nuts and volts column with the "led and photocell" technique but I'd really like to go in a "cleaner" direction. Using the LM339 has sounds like a cool method...so any info would be really helpful.

GooberTek your project sounds awesome...have you used the Flexipanel designer at all? Any idea how to send/ receive data in VB via Bluetooth connection?

Cheers,

R.K.