Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Poject Design feedback — Parallax Forums

Poject Design feedback

WalterWalter Posts: 17
edited 2006-07-10 18:19 in Robotics
I would·like·some feedback wiring·a GPS Robot Project that I'm building with the BS2Pe.

here is my design...:

2 IO's for I2C SDA/SCL to control a 4x20 LCD/Keypad, a compass, and 2 SRF10

2 I/O for the RS232 to read a garmin GPS

and a connection for PWMPAL/Motor driver (don't know which one to use yet) which will drive two DC motors.

I'll have to do some reading to see if the PWMPAL will make life easy for me as far as coding and moving the robot right/left back.

do this makes sense?

I'm also worry about code space. I don't know if the stamp will have a enough space.

Thanks

Walter

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-06-21 15:47
    Some things to consider:

The PWMPAL uses P0 for comms with the Stamp, so that is no longer available for general use. You'll probably want to use P12..P15 for your motor driver (PWM and direction). Use P8 and P9 for your I2C bus.· You can use any available pin to get data from the GPS (I've only used them in RX mode, I've made no attempt to send data to the Garmin due to the complex data structure required).

The BS2pe has plenty of space unless you're a horribly sloppy code writer -- remember that you have eight 2K banks at your disposal. Since you're using a P series moduel, the STORE command will let you use READ and WRITE across banks. So if you have a lot of string data for the LCD, I'd put that into a separate bank.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-06-21 18:12
    Doesn't the BS2pe have 16 banks?

0 - 7 which can contain both Program and Data, and
    8 - 15 which can only contain data.

So stick with storing strings and such in the upper 8 banks.

Unless you have a VERY, VERY complex or horribly messy program, there's no way you'll run out of space.
    (I'm a 'messy' coder myself, and I have no problems with space on my BS2p )

Compass, sonar and GPS...
    What is it supposed to be able to do?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • WalterWalter Posts: 17
    edited 2005-06-21 22:14
    my project is supposed to be an autonomous gps robot.
    . read the gps coordinates, and display it to the lcd. and then ask the user to enter a longitude and latitude into the keypad, and the robot base will move the location by reading the compass and the gps while avoiding obtacles using the sonar sensors.

I'm pretty new to pbasic and the bs2 so lets see how it goes...

thanks

Walter
  • Casey_SCUCasey_SCU Posts: 19
    edited 2006-07-10 18:19
    Walter,
    I am working on a similar project. Have you had the need for wheel encoders or multiple Stamps? Have you been successful with your project?
    Thanks,
    Casey