Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stampplot lite problem — Parallax Forums

Stampplot lite problem

jcoloniasjcolonias Posts: 31
edited 2005-06-21 21:15 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I am trying to connect the "StampPlot Lite" and I am getting consistently the message
that the ComPort is not available. My Basic program runs OK (at Port4), however, when I
run my basic program, close the debug box and attempt to connect the Stampplot to that port it does not accept the specified port. Why? Is it because (maybe) I am using a USB connection rather than a serial port?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, John

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-06-20 21:33
    No, it's probably because you haven't closed the Parallax IDE, and it is keeping the port for itself.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-06-21 17:29
    Hello,

·· Not sure what the problem is with Stamp Plot Lite, but you can rule out the Stamp Editor, since it's very passive and releases the COM port when not programming the·Stamp Module·and no DEBUG window is open.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-06-21 17:36
    Oops, my bad, I just checked and Chris is absolutely right -- the PBasic IDE does disconnect from the port when it's not actually downloading. What a friendly program.

You can run the program in the BS2 merely by pressing the reset button on the BOE board. Thus you don't have to have a debug window up to run it.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-06-21 21:15
    John,

This is most certainly because your DEBUG window is still open in the BASIC Stamp Windows Editor. Once you program the BASIC Stamp, go to RUN / DEBUG Window 1 and close the blue screen. This will release the COM port for Stamp plot lite. Sometimes it can be difficult to find the DEBUG window because it will be open, but only present under the menu system. I've seen this problem a thousand times in the Educator's Courses when I've used StampPlot Lite.

And it should work flawlessly after this is done. Also, check out StampDAQ, the Excel real-time data acquisition program. It's also a Marty Hebel piece of software and is just as cool as StampPlot Lite.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.