Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help with stamp choice — Parallax Forums

Help with stamp choice

smk8ersmk8er Posts: 13
edited 2005-06-20 14:35 in Robotics
·Hello all long time lurker first time poster here. Ok i am into underwater exploration, i have been a scuba diver for 5 years now and the past three years i have built 2 remotly operated vehicles. Problem with this is there tether is short due to push button controls. I would like to get into basic stamp and have more choices to me as in compass for navigation, water temp and better controls of the motors. My question to all of you is what kit should i buy first to get started into learning basic stamp so in the future i can use it for ROV's? I would like to buy the basics now and not have to rebuy anything later on to upgrade. i hope i made myself clear enough! thanks in advance for your responses!

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-06-19 01:15
    Hello,

·· The best place to start for first-timers with the Stamp is the "What's A Microcontroller?" text, available as a free download in PDF format from our website.· It will get you started with programming the BASIC Stamp, as well as interfacing, etc.· Once you've read through it, you should be able to get yourself started on your project.· If you don't already have a Stamp Module, Radio Shack sells the WAM Kit complete with a small development board (HomeWork Board) for under $100.00 I believe.· Hope this helps.· You can get to the PDF file on our website by going to the product page for the Book, and scrolling down to resources.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • smk8ersmk8er Posts: 13
    edited 2005-06-19 23:10
    Thanks for the return post! and thanks for your suggestions. I don;t have a kit yet so im going to look at the WAM like you said to. Again thanks.
  • edited 2005-06-20 01:12
    Yes, the homework board is a very good place to start. It includes the necessary books as well as the RS-232 programming cable and the AC power adapter. My local Radio Shack is selling them for $79.99, not quite sure if its a special or not, I have seen it go for as high as $99.99 in the past. A better approach might be to invest a bit more money and simply go for the full Board of Education kit. I find it to be a bit more versatile especially for robotics applications, it sports the AppMod header if your looking for expansion devices. I also like the Board of Education for the fact that we all at one time or another (myself included), smoke our microcontrollers (nothing like the smell of frying IC's). The Board of Education allows you to simply replace the burned out microcontroller with a new replacement. The home work board on the other hand has the Basic Stamp II microcontroller built into the PCB. This makes replacement of the BS-II nearly impossible without desoldering IC's and hoping and praying that you can purchase the replacement parts. Even with that said, they are surface mount IC's and require a bit more work to resolder into place , and solder bridges are highly likely if you are not careful. Hope this was helpful, Basic Stamps are a wonderful item!!!

Respectfully,
    Michael G. Jessat
    edited 2005-06-20 01:38
    Michael , wow thanks its good to have different feedback. I'm glad you sent me that reply i was just about to order the other kit but now i am rethinking and will look into the board of education kit instead. I greatly appreciate your post! I just looked and the cheapest i could find·the board of education kit is for around $100.00. Were are you located that the kit is 79.00? just curious. thanks again!

Thanks

Bryan

Post Edited (smk8er) : 6/20/2005 2:01:24 AM GMT
  • edited 2005-06-20 02:12
    Bryan,

Just another thought. You may want to call Radio Shack at 1-800-THE-SHACK, you can special order the Board of Education kit
    from them. I have found it sometimes cheaper than going elsewhere, go figure. Make sure you specify the FULL kit as they do
    stock a kit that does not include the RS-232 programming cable or the AC adaptor. The Parallax number for the full kit that they stock is #28102. The other 'stripped' down version is Parallax number #28103. The Radio Shack customer service representative should find it listed under their 900-XXXX series catalog numbers. A visit to your local Radio Shack to 'special order' this item will more times than not result in you getting a salesperson that hasn't got a clue as to what you are talking about or even how to find the item in their system. Trust me I used to manage a Radio Shack store for 5 years.

Repectfully,
    Michael G. Jessat
  • edited 2005-06-20 02:20
    Bryan,

Sorry for the confusion, I was quoting the cost for the homework board at $79.99 + tax. Sometimes Radio Shack runs unadvertised specials from time to time. I have seen the homework board list for $99.99 at Radio Shack a few months ago. You may find the full kit Board of Education on such a special if you call Radio Shack direct and speak with the order department. I have gotten several deals over the past few years on these kits. I think the lowest price I spent with Radio Shack was $89.99 for the full kit. But, again it may vary slightly higher or lower. And I am located in Southern New Jersey wink.gif

Respectfully,
    Michael G. Jessat
    edited 2005-06-20 02:25
    AHHH ok no problem. I will have to call radio shack up and check that out. I am originally from northwestern NJ and now live in northeastern PA! again thanks for the fast replies!
  • edited 2005-06-20 02:28
    Bryan,

I just got off the phone with a Radio Shack manager that was still in his store (I still have friends there). The correct Radio Shack catalog number for the full kit is 99008761 a replacement BS-II is Radio Shack catalog number 99003268. Hope this help you out!

Respectfully,
    Michael G. Jessat
  • RazmearRazmear Posts: 6
    edited 2005-06-20 04:00
    Another location to get the BOE is:
    http://www.kitsusa.net/phpstore/index.php?action=category&id=17
    They have it for $85, you can also get the whole BOE-Bot kit for $130 at the same site, which will give you a good frame to adapt your completed BOE-Bot for undersea exploration.
    I just picked up a second BOE-Bot off of Ebay for $60 from Parralax, put the seller PBasic1 on your watch list as they frequently get rid of Radio Shack returns and other items dirt cheap on Ebay. The latest aution was for 40 units, dutch.

Hope this helps,
    eb
    Newbie/Addict (just got thru the whiskers chapter)
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-06-20 12:38
    For what you are doing I would NOT recommend the 'homework' board. This has an "OEM" BS2 on it, in chip form, that is not removable or upgradeable. Spend the extra $25 (or whatever it is) and get the full BOE board.

The Serial BOE is a much better product, which you can use for prototyping (or installation into a product) far into the future. Once your prototype works, the Super Prototype board ($20) is a plug-compatible replacement.
    edited 2005-06-20 14:35
    thanks for the reply i decided to go with the BOE kit. I just need to order it now. thanks all.