Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
servo to use to pan a sonar ping — Parallax Forums

servo to use to pan a sonar ping

stamp_demonstamp_demon Posts: 69
edited 2005-06-17 03:30 in BASIC Stamp
·I am planning on building a pan/servo setup for my ping sonar ranger. I'm wondering wich would be better, a cont rotaion servo, or a regular hobby servo 180<> servo. I guess me biggest concern is weather I can keep them on· track. I do not want·it to get out of line to much to the left, or right after it runs a few times. So if anyone has any recomendations it would be greatly apriciated..· Thanks _Duane

Comments

• CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2005-06-17 02:08
    I did this same thing for object avoidance with my first robot, the standard servo is what you need, a cont. rotation one would twist your wires and not have the necessary position control. I used a computer CD audio cable for connecting, superglued the connector to a spare servo horn. worked like a charm
  • bobledouxbobledoux Posts: 187
    edited 2005-06-17 03:30
    I used a stepper motor for a panning an IR sensor. A switch set the left hand limit and it swept 120 degrees to the right and then reversed. A 5804 chip made the control easy.

It was used as a proximity sensor on a robot. Unfortunately, the 24 inch detection range was inadequate. Sometimes, the obstacle could sneak up on the robot if the sensor sweep was just in the wrong time sequence. With a longer distance sensing Ping, this may not be a problem. However, your sweep rate needs to consider the time it takes for the sound to travel to and from the obstacle.