Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Motor Suggestions — Parallax Forums

Motor Suggestions

Steve-OSteve-O Posts: 8
edited 2005-06-16 19:56 in Robotics
Any one have any suggestions for a good DC motor? My robot will weigh in at roughly 10 lbs and I want to be fairly quick...not insanely fast or anything. I'm hoping to drive both rear wheels with one motor and I will be using a Motor Mind C to control it. Size is not really of concern since I haven't built the chassis yet, but I would like a nice balance between power and current draw. Thanks guys!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Steve Reust

Wichita, KS
BS2
NX-1000 Project Board
Parallax Servo Controller
Motor Mind C coming soon

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-06-14 23:14
    Try Digi-Key www.digikey.com or Jameco www.jameco.com.· I believe they carry a wide selection of motors.· Make sure to check the specifications so that they will work with the Motor Mind C.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    [noparse][[/noparse]url]Http://www.parallax.com[noparse][[/noparse]/url]

·
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-06-14 23:25
    Steve -

Here is a dual shaft 12 VDC motor; 4.5 Amps; Torque is 8 in/lbs that looks reasonably beefy but is still reasonably small in size:

http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HAR&Product_Code=TM01MTR4476

Here is a much heavier duty (and pricier) dual shaft motor 48 VDC @1.4 amps, reversible motor. Torque = 2 lbs/in:

http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HAR&Product_Code=TM01MTR4528

Note that the above motor will require a shaft extension the rear shaft to make it protrude from the motor as the front shaft does. Any machine shop should be able to provide such a threaded shaft extension with a flattened end, at a reasonable price.

48 volt motors are becoming more the standard for small mobile carts and scooters, although some still use 24 volt systems. The higher voltage will generally provide higher motor efficiency, and permit smaller gauge wires to be used, with the downside of more battery weight (4 x 12 volts).

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-06-15 04:45
    Allelectronics sells left and right handed gearbox motors, well suited for driving bots. They also have a pair of motored wheels, I dont know if they are powerful enough but they are only $5 for the pair.

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 6/15/2005 4:51:39 AM GMT
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-06-16 16:56
    Dual shaft motors are quite convienent, but harder to come by. I have been looking around on the internet for some for months and months.

They allow one motor to control the speed and direction of turn quite handily. Then a servo can be used for steering a third wheel or another axel.

Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    G. Herzog in Taiwan
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-06-16 19:56
    George/Kramer -

If you have some specific requirement for a double shaft motor, I'd be glad to try and assist you. Over a period of time I've been able to find quite a few of them, but most of them are surplus as my budget is limited.

Feel free to contact me here, or via my email address below.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    bvbates @ usamailbox.com